Spectator Ride Report TDU stage 2 Part 2 - Return leg

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
Dougie

Postby Dougie » 28 Jan 2011, 08:42

Sorry all, for the delay in penning the second part. I had to do a little work which I find always gets in the way of a good time.

We left our intrepid cyclists at Woodside, SA preparing to return to Adelaide.....

So there we were forcing the gastronomic delights, artfully prepared by the Wizard of Woodside, a cook that not only would John West have rejected but also Masterchef, down our throats. Alison G, my mate Chris and I were discussing possible routes back to Adelaide. The shorter ride would have been via Greenhill Rd and Norton Summit, although I was sure that we would be sharing the road with Traffic. The longer journey was that of our route there, simply reversed. Alison voted for safety first and better the KOM you know than the KOM you don't. My mate Chris nodded sagely. He was on the verge of tears when were arrived in Woodside as it was, a big ride for him is along the beach front at Surfers Paradise, with a head wind! I could see him eyeing each TV helicopter intently, hoping that just one might be the Westpac Rescue Helicopter that might whisk him away from this nightmare.

It was decided that discretion, being the better part of valour, would see us taking the same route home. Now dear readers I had not failed to notice that we had some pretty good down hills that seemed pretty long on our way there. One of them being a little upward number that goes by the name of Germantown Hill. What I had failed to mention to my travelling compatriots was that this little hill was the KOM for the next day's stage! Oh well I hoped their private health cover is paid up.

Off we went, the journey from Woodside to Verdun was flat and swift. We easily held 33KM average for the 10K. We were regularly joined and passed by others on their journeys home. It was all very pleasant. Off to our left was the new Amy Gillette bike path. Although parts of it were clearly complete others must still have been under construction. It will be good for families etc when completed. All the pleasantness and camaraderie could be seen to lull my esteemed travellers into a false sense of security!

Chris was quite excited, only 28K to go. He had this bike riding gig, in the bag! Alison was a little more sanguine. Clearly she knew what was ahead. She hadn't been seduced by the delightful down hills with their sweeping bends. Ahead was pain, tears and the odd call for one's mother. As we turned toward Bridgewater the road turned skyward. Alison took on a steely look of grim determination and Chris was simply fortunate he was wearing dark Knicks. The first couple of hills were just plain old long grinds. You know the one’s, they sap you mentally long before the legs and lungs give up.

German town Hill came upon us. For many of you this is a mere bagatelle. 1.6KM with an average gradient of 6.2%. It’s really nothing to write home about. For me and Chris, it was Everest! I wish to note at this point, ALISON IS A MACHINE! I was riding with Chris and Alison cruised by saying she couldn’t ride at this speed without falling off. She simply stood up and disappeared. Alison gets immediate promotion to front right of the C28’s.

I checked with each rider that passed me on the hill if Chris in the red jersey was still upright. I was certainly concerned enough to have to consider digging a shallow bush grave and informing his next of kin of his final resting place. He was gripping the bars so tightly, I reckon I could see his luminescent white knuckles through his gloves. I am delighted to report he made the top. Alison was waiting for us looking bored and I no longer had to consider just how deep a hole I had to dig using only a minipump.

We continued to swoop and climb through Bridgewater and Aldgate and on to Stirling, all the while gradually gaining altitude. We arrived in Stirling, Alison looking fresh and Chris having a near death experience. I told Chris, one more climb then a beautiful downhill. He looked at me like I had two heads but nodded his understanding as he was unable to speak due the fact that if he opened his mouth his heart would fly out.

We set off again with quite a contingent of other cyclists, all of which were tourists. They knew where they wanted to be just not how to get there. A brisk climb took us to Ayres Rd which I recalled from last year beat me. I warned the others just as we rounded the corner that it was the last climb, but it was taxing. One woman looked at it, then looked at me and squeezed out “bastard!” It’s only 400m however the last hundred is 18-20%. As Chris reported to me, in sign language, once he got to the top, it was indeed a bastard.

A couple of minutes to go and we hit Crafers and the top of the descent to Adelaide. I breathed a sigh of relief as they were both still alive and I wouldn’t need to front a coronial inquiry into their untimely demise on some Hill in South Australia. I explained to Alison and Chris that the next 17KM they wouldn’t have to turn a pedal between now and their respective hotels. Alison commented that she wasn’t a great descender so not to worry able her. Chris was simply keen to end this nightmare and planned to hang on to my wheel the whole way down (I had to gently explain to him he would need to let it go for it to roll).

As previously explained the hill is average of 4% with some 12% thrown in, reverse this for ten K’s and you have a great ride! The view was great and sitting comfortably in the high fifties for what seemed to be an eternity was magic. We saw three cars the whole was down the old four lane highway, OUTSTANDING!

We rejoined the traffic at Glen Osmond rd for the remaining seven k’s back to town. Again plenty of others to give great awareness to motorists. We farewelled Alison and hoped to catch up with her for the next stage the following day.

I checked on Chris that evening. His wife reported that he was lying in a cool bath on his back in the downhill position with a “Joker Grin” still stuck on his face. It must have been OK.

Stage 3 viewing next!

cheers Dougie

Return to “Conversation”