Spectator Report Tour Down Under Stage 5 and 6

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
Dougie

Postby Dougie » 01 Feb 2011, 17:08

Stage 5 and 6 of the Tour Down Under 2011

Ok….. I admit it. I didn’t ride on the Saturday after the big one. My posse and I enjoyed a great feed at the Stag Hotel on East Terrace on the Friday night. A beer and half a bottle of red and I was goooorne. The next morning I really couldn’t face the saddle. I know you usually sit on the saddle however my arse was too sore so it tried to face it. The cutout’s not too bad for the nose but it’s way too difficult to peddle with your hands……

I dragged the family to breakfast in a great café with most diners fully lycra’d up. I noted that the bloke beside me was from the Shire and some of his mates from Noosa. In fact I didn’t see too many riders that looked local in town; they must have kept, wisely to the suburbs. They were off to the Willunga Hill stage straight after fuelling up.

The day was pretty hot. It got up to 36 in the early afternoon and stayed there until about 6pm so you needed to be keen to ride. We drove down to Aldinga beach and the McLaren Vale to see the Peloton. Just in our time on the road I counted over one hundred cyclists on the dedicated bike path that runs parallel to the freeway. The path is very similar to that of the M7 bike path for those of you that have ridden it.

We pulled over on McLaren Vale rd in the McLaren Vale to see the peloton go past. They were cranking and clearly getting ready to jump on Willunga Hill. Willunga Hill is a 3KM climb at an average of 7.6% and they do it twice! This is always an exciting stage as it usually determines the eventual winner of the TDU. Plenty of spectators lining the road and not only did Lance get a huge cheer but the local lads too.

It was very common at the end of each stage to see a number of teams riding back to the Adelaide Hilton from the stage finish. On our way back to Adelaide City we came up behind team cars on three occasions gently cruising in the left hand land at but 35Kph shielding their riders from the traffic. There would be six or so riders in team kit laying down a gentle 35+ kph pace and then forty plus nuff nuffs hanging on behind for dear life, then the team car with it’s hazards on. All very relaxed and very cool. I never saw the team riders swap off though, clearly no sense of adventure!

The Sunday was the final stage of the TDU. It is held on a tight street circuit around North Adelaide and is very spectator friendly. I took a quick spin around the track early in the morning then packed the bike away for the journey home. We watched the start and a couple of laps then came back for the finish. Great, tight racing that kept the outcome unknown 'til the finish. Lance got up and gave a speech. Love him or hate him, he has put the TDU on the map. Here are some stats:
772,000 lined the streets to watch the event go past. The biggest sporting event in Australia, ever.
120,000 lined the track for stage 6
40,000 instate and overseas visitors attended the event.
$50 Million injection into the South Australian economy
In 2008, the year before Lance the SA economy had a $17 Million boost. It’s tripled in three years.

A great time had by all. Inclusive, safe and clean. The whole thing is cheap and accessible. My family are not riders and they had plenty to do and had a ball. I cannot recommend it strongly enough. Anyone up for 2012?

Cheers and see you in the Bunch

Dougie

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 03 Feb 2011, 06:33

Thanks for all these reports Dougie and as Jo & I have both posted previously, we're up for 2012 for sure (not going back to that Bright place next year, too many bloody big hills although it was a great week). Looking forward to a chat with you about all the logistics post a Waterfall or Slowies ride after I return from the USA / Cube.

Return to “Conversation”