Are you a Joomla or Web Design person - Your club needs you.

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
Stuart

Postby Stuart » 12 Apr 2011, 18:49

Hi all - the clubs new website is proceeding at snails pace due to my total lack of web design skills (especially in Joomla, our open source content creation software) - I also lack time.

If any club members (or supporters, or partners or anyone really) have the skills and time to help out (for free that is) with the creation and/or design of the new website, please drop me a PM or even just post here. I need all the help I can get.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 12 Jun 2011, 17:05

Why was Joomla chosen for the job in the first place?

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 12 Jun 2011, 17:47

Joomla was chosen because it's open source and free. It also has many free plugins. This means that after I'm gone that it's more likely we can continue to update the website and add modules and do the grunt work and it won't cost DHBC anything. We could have gone with lovely proprietary software but then you're always paying the man for updates and maintenance.

Besides that, are you volunteering Weiyun? Maybe I'll see you on a club ride sometime soon and you can chat to me about how you can offer some assistance. Meantime, you can see the work in progress at http://www.dhbc.org.au/dhbc/

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 12 Jun 2011, 18:06

The website for my workplace is Joomla as well, we chose it because
a) it's open source and free,
b) lot's of people use it, hence there are lots of people who can develop in it and like Stuart says, there are lots of plug-ins
c) it's got excellent security and that matters.

Sadly, although the website sits within my area of control at work, I'm useless in any practical sense. But if there's a thing that can be asked of the people that do know, I'll happily ask them

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 12 Jun 2011, 18:16

Sounds like fair rationale. Unfortunately my familiarity with Joomla is zilch.

timothy_clifford

Postby timothy_clifford » 22 Feb 2012, 10:56

I have no experience with Joomla, or PHP, but I do have a B. Comp Sci and spend a large part of every weekday building web applications.
Happy to help if needed.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 23 Feb 2012, 14:11

Tim, you're hired. Desperately need help with the following:
  • Joomla Forms for feedback, contact, creating content for non web people e.g. race reports etc ;
    Community Builder (inserting module and importing all club members);
    A Newsletter system linked to Community Builder
VirtureMart Shopping Cart is also required but we will pay for that I think.

I've sent you an email. Lets talk.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 27 Feb 2012, 15:34

[mod]The rest of this thread re Avatars etc moved here >> http://dhbc.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php? ... 914#p39914 [/mod]

Jdubs

Postby Jdubs » 11 Apr 2014, 14:47

Stuart, saw the post on FB.
What do you need done? I work with almost every CMS out there except for Joomla. haha
I am more of a newsletter/spammer, but what do you need?
Current work is using Drupal and Wordpress which is also PHP based.

From my knowledge if you are upgrading such a big step. You may need a complete rebuild of the website.

Jonathan

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 11 Apr 2014, 16:26

Correct - we need to install temp version of Joomla and migrate the current site to the temp and then move it. So it's more of an admin / techo type job than just CMS stuff.

avocom

Postby avocom » 25 Apr 2014, 22:49

Hi Stuart

I just saw the post on FB and remember that last year a ride leader from Slowies (I think it was Jo) asked me something about it.

Yes, it is a huge upgrade. Depending of the website and components it is sometimes easier to rebuild it from scratch. If all external components are compatible with J3.2 (J3.3 are to be released soon) and can be upgraded, the most time consuming job would be to produce a new template. The J1.5, J2.5 and 3.x templates aren't compatible. Other important things are required such as a database upgrade, but there are tools that make this job easier.

I'm not riding this weekend (baby care duties!), but if you are still in need of any help please let me know and we'll discuss it during the week.

Cheers

Andre

Return to “Conversation”