Friendly road race Sunday 9Dec in Terry Hills

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
Eugen Schilter

Postby Eugen Schilter » 05 Dec 2007, 17:33

Why not join a friendly morning race coming Sunday 9Dec in Terry Hills :shock: :D ?
Start 8am sharp. Club Grades A B & C. Beautiful real road course 35km ondulating and then a testing final climb out of Akuna Bay. Quiet and safe. $10 entry from 7:30am. Prices: (not corrupted) sweepstake + vouchers from KOM Cyclery

http://www.masiello.com.au/bicisport/st ... ?idStore=4

Terrey Hills Road Races (organiser Manly, Harlequin & BiciSport)
Road race Start Time – 8.00am – refer programme for dates
Start Tepko Rd Terrey Hills. Race is “neutral” down McCarrs Creek Rd, and race
Commences at the “bottom” NPWS tollgate (going towards West Head). Race
Concludes at the top NPWS tollgate or along West Head Road (depending on event)

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 05 Dec 2007, 21:36

I'd love to go in this one Eugene, but unfortunately I've planned a secrete weekend away in the Blue Mountains. But, I'll be on the bike, wearing black of course and I may even visit some Spanish doctors. I'm hoping to get to the Bike Bug 500 the following weekend.
http://www.randwickbotanycc.com/News.htm

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 05 Dec 2007, 22:03

I'd love to go in this one Eugene, but unfortunately I've planned a secrete weekend away in the Blue Mountains.
No longer a secret eh Adrian!

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 05 Dec 2007, 22:14

Why not join a friendly morning race coming Sunday 9Dec in Terry Hills :shock: :D ?
Start 8am sharp. Club Grades A B & C. Beautiful real road course 35km ondulating and then a testing final climb out of Akuna Bay. Quiet and safe. $10 entry from 7:30am. Prices: (not corrupted) sweepstake + vouchers from KOM Cyclery
Thanks Eugen for advising of this.

This is what the club wants to encourage - people to join in other club road races. We did the one out at Menai, and then unfortunatly the road season ended for most clubs, and I wasn't expecting it to start up again until March/April. However, here is a classic short road race.

Theres another one in Feb at same place, so as a club we might plan to all go out there en masse.

Would be good if a few of us could go with Eugen. Now the new club jersey's are done, you can don the colours on boys!

Toff

Postby Toff » 05 Dec 2007, 22:46

I used to race this when I rode for Northern Suburbs (back when they were sponsered by Clancy's). I can tell you it's relentless hills, and the b@stards attack as soon as they pass the park gate. The bunch splits and re-forms at the top of each hill, (of which there are many).

When I used to do it, you finished by riding up one of the longest most gruelling switchback climbs to the gates on the other side of the park (always alone in my case).

I might have a crack (no pun intended) at this once I lose another 10 kilos, but the climbers will love it, and there are almost no cars.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 05 Dec 2007, 22:56

Lowest grade being Club C, that counts me out... :cry:

fenn_paddler

Postby fenn_paddler » 06 Dec 2007, 06:46

http://www.masiello.com.au/bicisport/st ... ?idStore=4

Terrey Hills Road Races (organiser Manly, Harlequin & BiciSport)
Road race Start Time – 8.00am – refer programme for dates
Start Tepko Rd Terrey Hills. Race is “neutral” down McCarrs Creek Rd, and race
Commences at the “bottom” NPWS tollgate (going towards West Head). Race
Concludes at the top NPWS tollgate or along West Head Road (depending on event)
I'd like to give this one a crack as it's a fantastic course - the bike leg on the go natural multisport race earlier this year followed a similar route, though it finished at the boat ramp at akuna bay. Those rolling hills out to west head are a b*stard as you can't get into any sort of a climbing rythym but it's fun nevertheless.

Does anyone know if a cycling australia ride-it cycling is sufficient for this race?

Weiyun I raced Tepko road a while ago, when it was out and back on Booralie Rd, and B-grade then was equiv to Tues night C-grade at Heffron. I think you should give it a go.

Cheers,
Alan

Cheers,
Alan

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 06 Dec 2007, 21:04

Lowest grade being Club C, that counts me out... :cry:
I wouldn't worry about that, you just race in the closest grade.

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 07 Dec 2007, 11:52

Does anyone know if a cycling australia ride-it cycling is sufficient for this race?

Alan
I don't think so Alan. But if in doubt give their club a ring. Let us know.

ALso, make sure you upgrade to full licence category so you can join in the real fun for 2008. We have great plans for you!

fenn_paddler

Postby fenn_paddler » 08 Dec 2007, 17:46

I don't think so Alan. But if in doubt give their club a ring. Let us know.

ALso, make sure you upgrade to full licence category so you can join in the real fun for 2008. We have great plans for you!
Hi Geoff,

I suspect you're right.

After last week's stop and start rnp run I'm going to do that instead, so I'll be heading past Mick Mazza's at 6:00am tomorrow if anyone is interested in doing the southside's equivalent of akuna bay/west head.

Cheers,
Alan

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 09 Dec 2007, 20:33

Anyone end up racing this morning?

wallman

Postby wallman » 10 Dec 2007, 07:26

I drove up there and was getting my gear together out of the car when I realised there was a vital piece of kit missing - my shoes. Not a happy memory. I think I saw Eugen there but I was so pissed off I'd lost the power of speech so I didn't say hi. I like the looks of this one though and will probably give it a shot in Jan.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 10 Dec 2007, 08:04

I remember JamesC led a three gorges ride earlier this year. Maybe we should organize another one to get familiar with the course.

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 10 Dec 2007, 08:25

I think I proposed one for ANZAC Day, but it was crap weather, so we didn't go.

However, I am happy to organise a ride to West Head with a return through Akuna Bay if you want. From my place, that would be about 115km or so.

Be aware that there would be heavy traffic going through Balmain/Drummoyne as well as on the Pacific Highway at Chatswood.

James

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 10 Dec 2007, 08:32

Oh, all I remembered was that I couldn't make it. It's your call as I am in the Balmain area and would be able to hop on near Iron Cove Br. But you are right, there's a risk/reward ratio there.

Do you still ride with the Renegade group on Sat? IIRC, those are their standard rides. Maybe it's easier to just hop onto their bunch to get to know the course.

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 10 Dec 2007, 08:40

I do still ride with Renegade.

They rarely (if ever) do that complete ride (West Head returning through Akuna Bay), but they do them separately. West Head by itself is pretty tough, but a very good ride.

Keep an eye on their website if you want to do one of their rides, (http://www.renegadecycles.com.au/index.php?id=46), the update the list at the beginning of each month.

I am happy to organise a group ride North if there is enough interest next year. We have Australia Day, Easter and ANZAC Day as options.

James

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 10 Dec 2007, 08:52

Thanks James.

Given the start of school holidays, I'll be a free man on Sat soon. I am familiar with Renegade as I bought my first road bike from them. I'll try to tag onto one of their rides at some point. Very curious of the magic the northern gorges has on offer. Guess I'll have to start with their group 2 rides first.

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 10 Dec 2007, 13:24

Weiyun, you can probably ride with the 1st Group, they have knocked the speed back to make it less "elite", the pace up the hills isn't insane, and you have survived me driving the pace through the Park.

More often than not, you can drop back to the 2nd Group if the pace is too high in the first, or you can cut some of the ride out.

If you are interested, let me know when you are likely to show up and I will ensure that I am there.

James

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 10 Dec 2007, 13:41

Ok, thanks James. I'll let you know when I am free from my Sat duties.

In relation to the groups, I read that they have a policy of forcing everyone to ride in Gp 2 first before moving up. So I guess this is a back door intro from you? :wink:

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 10 Dec 2007, 20:59

I remember JamesC led a three gorges ride earlier this year. Maybe we should organize another one to get familiar with the course.
James F

It was James F, James M and me who went

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 10 Dec 2007, 21:45

Oops... You are right, it was you three.

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 11 Dec 2007, 23:18

I can try and organise one in January. Right now i'm too busy at work, and i'm taking my yearly break.

Return to “Conversation”