Yoga For Athletes

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
humanbeing

Postby humanbeing » 18 Jul 2013, 21:05

Marrickville Yoga Centre is offering a "Yoga For Athletes" workshop on Friday, August 9, 5.30 - 7pm. Cost $25 Bookings essential.
The workshop will cater to issues specific to sportspeople and no yoga experience is required.
For more info:
http://www.marrickvilleyoga.com.au
and to receive the yoga for athletes newsletter:
info@marrickvilleyoga.com.au
Have a great ride,
Peter
* I attend yoga classes regularly at this yoga school and recommend yoga as a great compliment to cycling and overall well being

timyone

Postby timyone » 21 Jul 2013, 23:09

I like Pilates, is that a bit costly?

humanbeing

Postby humanbeing » 22 Jul 2013, 12:28

Pilates seems fairly similar to yoga though I'm no expert - different strokes for different folks.
As for cost, it is what it is. I'm not sure what other yoga schools charge.
Have a great ride,
Peter

Scott_W

Postby Scott_W » 23 Jul 2013, 14:39

Yoga and Pilates are both excellent tools, to be very general if you want to mainly improve flexibility yoga is worth considering, if you are looking to mainly improve strength and control through the core pilates is one way of achieving this.

$25 for a 1.5 hour yoga class is not expensive - for that length of time it is very reasonably priced.

Yoga

Is principally a life philosophy which encompassed ethical and spiritual values as well as a series of poses (called 'Asana') which happen to be very beneficial to the workings of the body and building a mind-body connection.

Yoga posses were originally invented so Yoga practitioners could hold their bodies in static positions for long periods while they were meditating, but because they are isometric (which means they rely on holding muscle tension), they also help build stronger muscles.

Pilates

Isn't a life philosophy, it is simply a series of exercises designed to improve the strength of our core muscles around the abdominals, hips and lower back.

There are two basic forms of Pilates, mat-based Pilates and equipment-based Pilates.

Mat-based Pilates, which is the most popular form of Pilates, is a series of exercises performed on the floor using gravity and our own body weight to provide resistance. Equipment-based Pilates, as the name suggests, uses specially designed equipment and accessories to provide muscle resistance.

Cheers

Return to “Conversation”