Beginners Bike Paths / Locations

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
Nozzle

Postby Nozzle » 26 Jan 2014, 14:41

Hi All,

I'm taking my wife out to learn to ride tomorrow morning. Any suggestions for very flat and quiet areas that would be suitable? I'm thinking Homebush around SOP but am not really familiar with the bike paths there or how many other path users will be there.

I'm thinking Centennial may be busy tomorrow too and perhaps a few too many hazards for a complete first timer.

Pointers please. Will be driving there so location is not an issue.

Cheers,
Noel

humanbeing

Postby humanbeing » 26 Jan 2014, 15:19

Homebush is probably best, miles and miles of shared path.
Tempe sports recreation area is good too - netball courts (lots of space) adjacent to Cooks River Cycleway.
Have a great ride,
Peter

timothy_clifford

Postby timothy_clifford » 26 Jan 2014, 15:30

Try Kyeemagh: between the Cooks River and the Brighton Fishermen's Club there is a nice flat section of cycleway. Nice and flat with soft(er) grass on either side. Also a carpark to practice in (not sure how quiet it is).

Another good spot is the Rockdale Bicentennial Park on West Botany St, between Bay St and President Ave. Again a nice big carpark to practice in, and a bitumen track around the park (it's a little rough in places).

Both spots are away from traffic.

Tod511

Postby Tod511 » 26 Jan 2014, 15:54

Agree with both Peter and Tim.

When Kerry started out we did loops at Tempe recreation area. It is flat, well paved, grass either side and flat. A good place for beginners.
Last edited by Tod511 on 26 Jan 2014, 18:50, edited 1 time in total.

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 26 Jan 2014, 17:18

I also took my sister there. We did Tempe to do stopping and starting with cleats and from there went to the airport and beyond towards Botany Bay. Very easy for her and she's now a Slowies regular...

pflanagan

Postby pflanagan » 26 Jan 2014, 18:38

I do not know where you live. We have been teaching our kid's to ride in the car park of Canterbury race course. Loads of wide open space both grass & bitumen, with no obstacles or other people around.

timothy_clifford

Postby timothy_clifford » 30 Jan 2014, 14:52

Hi All,

I'm taking my wife out to learn to ride tomorrow morning. Any suggestions for very flat and quiet areas that would be suitable? I'm thinking Homebush around SOP but am not really familiar with the bike paths there or how many other path users will be there.

I'm thinking Centennial may be busy tomorrow too and perhaps a few too many hazards for a complete first timer.

Pointers please. Will be driving there so location is not an issue.

Cheers,
Noel
So, where did you end up going? Was it a success? Does all our base are belong to you?

Nozzle

Postby Nozzle » 30 Jan 2014, 17:40

Thanks all for the suggestions.

I decided to go to the Tempe Recreational Area. We did a few laps then rode half of the path behind the Airport toward Mascot.

Not a bad outing although there were still a few people out and about.

I think we will do something out at SOP or the strip along Brighton/ Kyeemah next if confidence is on the up. Long term goal of Saturday Slowies in sight.

Cheers,
Noel

Dougie

Postby Dougie » 31 Jan 2014, 14:19

I think we will do something out at SOP or the strip along Brighton/ Kyeemah next if confidence is on the up. Long term goal of Saturday Slowies in sight.

Cheers,
Noel
Noel, I used to drive William, me and the bikes to Redfern and park. We would then ride with the Slowies using the safety of the bike path to and from Centennial Park. Just a thought when the time comes.

cheers

Douglas

Return to “Conversation”