Research Volunteers needed...

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
Razoir

Postby Razoir » 07 Jan 2015, 10:24

Researchers from the University of Sydney are looking for trained cyclists to participate in a study testing a new wearable hydration status sensor with athletic and clinical purposes. The study will be taking place at the university’s Cumberland Campus in Lidcombe. You would be asked to participate in a one-hour preliminary session consisting of a DEXA body composition analysis and VO2MAX test and three four-hour experimental sessions where you will be cycling at 60% VO2MAX for two hours in 33°C and 50% relative humidity ambient conditions. Measurements that will be taken include rectal, esophageal and skin temperature, local sweat rate, skin blood flow, heart rate and blood and urine samples. You will not be compensated monetarily for your contribution, however, you may keep the VO2MAX and body composition test results and further lactate threshold analysis can be performed. Additionally we could arrange a follow-up VO2MAX and body composition exam at a later date as further compensation. If interested please contact Nathan Morris at Nathan.morris@sydney.edu.au.

Dougie

Postby Dougie » 08 Jan 2015, 11:34

You will not be compensated monetarily for your contribution, however, you may keep the VO2MAX and body composition test results and further lactate threshold analysis can be performed.
I reckon they might just let you keep the rectal thermometer as well...........

marc2131

Postby marc2131 » 08 Jan 2015, 12:15

My reaction too. Not keen.
They might like to know this. My gut feeling is they going to find it hard to get appropriate volunteers.

shrubb face

Postby shrubb face » 08 Jan 2015, 13:33

There are a couple of us who have done this testing previously for UniSyd, whilst the rectal probe isn't much fun its certainly not the worst bit. Try have multiple blood test during a vo2max test....

Sadly all the probes, sensors, etc are a necessary evil to collect the data they need. Believe me the researchers are well aware of how unpleasant the process is.

Razoir

Postby Razoir » 08 Jan 2015, 14:14

Yeh...it's all good. Actually the gut temperature is what we want ..not gut feeling!

Anyway..any questions email nathan.morris@sydney.edu.au

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 12 Jan 2015, 08:01

Yeh...it's all good. Actually the gut temperature is what we want ..not gut feeling!

Anyway..any questions email nathan.morris@sydney.edu.au
I've reposted this on another club's forum that I'm associated with.

Return to “Conversation”