Advice - TdF Campervan trip

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
Phil G

Postby Phil G » 14 Apr 2015, 15:39

Hi Team - looking for advice/insights to TdF in a campervan. Good news is I have a campervan and taking the family around France. Targetting to be present at two stages at the moment, two yound kids (and wife) realistically prevents me from more:

Stage 18 - 23 July - Gap to Saint-Jean-de-Maurienne
Stage 19 - 24 July - Saint-Jean-de-Maurienne to La Toussuire

So..I have the campervan booked, but unsure on where to stay or how to ensure we get a spot on the mountain. Does anyone have any experience with this?

For example:
* Is booking a spot in a camp site essentail or should I head straight to the mountain?
* With no camp spot - How could I get access to filling up water and emptying caravan?
* Anyone done a Farm stay? How do bookings work?
* Any ideas on how quickly vantage spots likely to fill up along the route, especially closer to finish and roads become closed?

Appreciate any info you may be able to share.

Thanks
Phil

Dougie

Postby Dougie » 14 Apr 2015, 16:39

Hi Phil

Club member Jamie Triccas visits France as he has French family in the Alps and views the TdF there. He will have some great advice.

cheers
Dougie

Robert

Postby Robert » 14 Apr 2015, 21:51

* Is booking a spot in a camp site essentail or should I head straight to the mountain?
Don't need campsite with a campervan - just go to the mountain and get there the night before to survey the route. Maybe you can get a side of the road beaut spot or simply park and walk a shortish distance.
* With no camp spot - How could I get access to filling up water and emptying caravan?
Service station for water. "Emptying caravan" - leave the door open (haha)
* Anyone done a Farm stay? How do bookings work?
Check out the Bookings.com website. I booked one day ahead each night
* Any ideas on how quickly vantage spots likely to fill up along the route, especially closer to finish and roads become closed?
Vantage spots near town fill up quick. But on the hills, you'll find plenty of space and nice people.
I was there last year and saw two stages in UK and two in France. The UK was mad- hordes! I had a bike with me and a stationwagon. 2 stages were enough to be part of it and then turn on the telly for better coverage.
You'll love it

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 15 Apr 2015, 06:23

This site has masses of info. He's even written a book on it.

http://www.velonomad.com/campervanning-france-guide/

Return to “Conversation”