SMH Heckler - The charge of the lycra brigade

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
Stuart

Postby Stuart » 30 Dec 2008, 08:56

Interesting heckler in today's Herald - There is more than a hint of truth in this piece and I think I'm guilty of this sometimes even though I don't commute. Note to self - must smile more and say hi and give a wave, if not all the time then at least some of the time.

Heckler - The charge of the lycra brigade

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 30 Dec 2008, 09:45

A bit hard to say hello when your traveling more than twice his speed :wink:

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 30 Dec 2008, 11:05

No different to what car drivers complain of other car drivers, no different to what pedestrians complain of other pedestrians, no different to what travelers complain of other travelers, and the list goes on...

simon.sharwood

Postby simon.sharwood » 30 Dec 2008, 11:33

Every community shatters into groups that define themselves as the "real" representatives of the community. We're not immune to this madness.
(Although at least every kind of cyclist knows who the real enemies are: triathletes :-)).

P.S. Hope to be well enough to see some of you soon. Had a wee operation pre-Xmas (nothing serious) and am trying to get well ASAP.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 30 Dec 2008, 11:44

Note to self - must smile more and say hi and give a wave, if not all the time then at least some of the time.
It's a nice gesture to do when there aren't too many cyclists. But if you do the same to every person coming in the other direction when you are walking down George St on a busy shopping day, what do you think would be people's response? :wink:

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 30 Dec 2008, 15:57

I think that Simon has it right. If we as roadies can endear ourselves to the Commuters more, then we can get them on side with the war against the Triathletes...

The article does make a point though, we should try and encourage people to ride and forgive their mistakes a bit more if they aren't "dressed the part", this is usually an indicator that they aren't as serious rider as some of us.

I know that I usually make eye contact with other riders and give them a nod on my morning commute, unless they aren't wearing a helmet. Or they have been running red lights.

James

Eugen Schilter

Postby Eugen Schilter » 02 Jan 2009, 12:43

'Clean the chain instead of letting it get rusty' type serious; 'means a lot to me', 'defines me' serious? Maketed as 'bike addiction', 'bike bug' and 'bike mania' it clearly cannot shake off some multi-facetted ambivalence. So why not embrace non-helmeters, red light jumpers and footpathers :cry: (I find this hard)? Quite amusing today's 'always point out everything on the road' etiquette mentality! - which incidentally nearly ended the life of a young mate of mine on Mona Vale road! Vive la difference!

Return to “Conversation”