Scott 24hr

For the MTB and mud/dirt/rock lovers...
christian

Postby christian » 17 Jul 2009, 08:29

Its almost time to consider punishing yourself for a whole 24 hours. Entries will open soon for this years Scott 24 hour mountain bike race at Mt Stromlo in Canberra, 10th and 11th of October. This is a quality event, not like a road open. There is a big transition area, lots of stores from sponsors, showers, places to get food and more importantly coffee. Its a good weekend away.

Apparently entries opened in the 1st of July, they must be having technical difficulties.

There are a few of us considering riding it solo this year, but if you don't want to do that and enter a team I'm sure we will be able to find enough riders.

If there are enough of us this year we will consider getting some sort of bus for transport, otherwise the drive back is painful, well it usually is for me anyway.

Stay tuned.
http://www.scott24hr.com.au/

orphic

Postby orphic » 17 Jul 2009, 10:34

I have been thinking about this after Lindsay mentioned it, and I think I am interested. However, I haven't ridden off road before so I need to do that and some training before I commit to it. What's the difficulty of the course for those that have ridden it before?

So if someone wants to take me on a ride, please feel free. I will warn you that I'll probably be annoyingly slow and cautious to begin with.

christian

Postby christian » 17 Jul 2009, 11:18

The course had a bit of everything, climbing with switch backs, single track, fire trails, downhill-ish parts, sandy and rock sections. Last year it comprised of two loops, one being a climb up to the old observatory with the descent back down and the other being a flatter loop, both around 14kms long.

We will be doing some rides leading up to this so I can remember how to ride a mountain bike. For anyone who is unsure we can go and ride Manly dam, which isn't all that interesting but it will give you a bit of an idea. I'll work out a date for this very soon, perhaps next Saturday.

One thing to keep in mind is once entries open for this event it will fill up very fast.

NOOG

Postby NOOG » 17 Jul 2009, 12:36

So if someone wants to take me on a ride, please feel free. I will warn you that I'll probably be annoyingly slow and cautious to begin with.
Me and a few mates go mountain biking every Saturday if you want to tag along... Manly Dam will probably be closed tomorrow due to the rain so we were going to head out to the Oakes fire trail in the Blue Mountains. It has recently been graded, so it's quite an easy ride now. The singletrack at the end is still a blast though.

Anyone else who's up for it, is welcome to come along too.
Last edited by NOOG on 17 Jul 2009, 12:56, edited 1 time in total.

orphic

Postby orphic » 17 Jul 2009, 12:46

I have a shoe/pedal situation that needs to be sorted out first.

NOOG

Postby NOOG » 17 Jul 2009, 12:49

Entries are OPEN!

Go to 'Race Info' and then 'Online Race Rego'

I've entered as a solo because I have no friends. Get in quick!

NOOG

Postby NOOG » 17 Jul 2009, 13:03

Here a few pics from last years effort to whet your appetite.
ImageImage

orphic

Postby orphic » 18 Jul 2009, 10:35

After talking to Simon last night, I think solo might be the way to go if I enter. Especially since I would be concerned about letting the team down if I was to enter with others.

One very important question though, do you consume beer throughout the duration of the event? I'm only doing it if the answer to that question is yes.

lindsay

Postby lindsay » 18 Jul 2009, 11:24

I'm in... over 40's solo.
One very important question though, do you consume beer throughout the duration of the event? I'm only doing it if the answer to that question is yes.
Well... while touring I have been known to soothe a dry & dusty throat with a drop of the ol' amber sports drink en-route. However last year even with a couple of coldies in the esky I wasn't tempted until after I finished. I don't consider myself a diet fanatic however I was a bit concerned to optimize my intakes during the 24 hours. After however I did celebrate with a drop, just to wash out the dust mind you...

christian

Postby christian » 18 Jul 2009, 12:03

I'm entered solo. After talking to Rob last night about riding it single speed I've decided not to, instead ride the heavy prophet, taking comfort over speed. If I have an attack of insanity before the event I'm sure I'll be able to change catagories.

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 18 Jul 2009, 18:40

Hey I"m in again for solo & signed up. Jess will come down too, she plans to ride as long as she can get a bike on time.

Absolutely love this event!!!!! One of the most enjoyable bike races there is!!!

Cheers Simon.

Glenno

Postby Glenno » 18 Jul 2009, 22:11

simon,

I am thinking of entering. I have done the mont a few times in teams.

What did you do last year?

How many hours did you ride?

When did you sleep/eat?

Did you drive home. I struggle driving home from the Mont every year and we get some sleep.

alchemist

Postby alchemist » 19 Jul 2009, 12:42

After driving home from my first few 24hrs I always spend Sunday night in Canberra now. Much better to have the day off or get up and drive back to Sydney for work the next morning than to have this happen...

Both guys were very lucky to walk away...

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 19 Jul 2009, 21:02

Anyone got a bike they want to sell me?

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 19 Jul 2009, 22:28

simon,

I am thinking of entering. I have done the mont a few times in teams.

What did you do last year?

How many hours did you ride?

When did you sleep/eat?

Did you drive home. I struggle driving home from the Mont every year and we get some sleep.
The way I see this event is it is about how much you want to ride in 24hrs to gain the most amount of enjoyment. Last year I only rode about 120kms & I use the word only because I managed to sleep in the warmth of the car over night for about 8 hours.

I think anyone can ride a 24hr mountain bike solo because there is no obligations. You can ride as much or as little as you feel comfortable with. The funny thing about last year was the boys all rode in a team, they had to get up all night to take turns riding, had to ride when their turn came up, had to ride in the cold and at the oddest hours & yet even with the satisfaction of riding when I wanted & got to sleep normal hours I still got more riding time & clocked up more kms than any of them individually. So a lot more comfort and more riding. My last lap at night was about 9pm to do a couple of laps of night riding & I think my first was about 7:30am.

Solo is definitely the way to go if your not planning on winning it. It is fantastic fun!!!!

Glenno

Postby Glenno » 19 Jul 2009, 22:47

Simon,

I have this weird ambition of doing a solo 24hr and riding for 24hrs. I like the team rides. We did double night laps this year at the Mont but I really felt like I would have liked to have done more than 6 hrs of riding. I am not sure that this is the year though having had nearly 2 months of riding already.

I agree about sleeping in the car. I have a Ford territory, its perfect. Just need to leave a window open a bit, so you don't overheat or run out out air.

I will decide in the week if im entering.

christian

Postby christian » 20 Jul 2009, 08:34

This year going solo means I get to ride the best lap, 5am and may not ride the worst lap, 3am. But if I'm asleep at 5am its going to be hard to get up and get on a bike.

orphic

Postby orphic » 20 Jul 2009, 14:40

I went to investigate shoes and pedals this afternoon. My options appear to be for a stiffer carbon sole shoe + egg beaters or a not so stiff shoe + candy's. The first option is a bit more expensive. I'm buying them local so I can get them quickly. I need to make a decision, however...

The guy in the shop kind of freaked me out about doing this, and now I'm having second thoughts. Have I gone completely insane? I struggle on hills on a road bike and I am planning on doing Mt Stromlo. There is some voice of sanity inside of me telling me it's impossible.

christian

Postby christian » 20 Jul 2009, 15:22

Unless you intend on being a hard core XC mountain bike rider I'd go the candys, but John will be able to give you more info as he rides with egg beaters.

As for being freaked out, it is hard work riding off road. The race shouldn't fill up this week, so if you get shoes and pedals before the weekend then there is time to give the whole off road thing a go before you make a final decision. If you intend on doing any off road stuff then you'll need pedals anyway.

When has sanity ever come into it anyway.

NOOG

Postby NOOG » 20 Jul 2009, 17:05

I use eggbeaters and candys on different bikes. I'd probably recommend the candys, as they give you a better platform and they're also a lot easier to clip into (you can still sort of pedal until they clip in)
Eggbeaters take a bit of getting used to, but there's a weight advantage and when you're confident enough not to clip out at all, you don't really need the platform.
I also use acids on my road fixie which have a bigger platform again. Steer clear of the mallets though, they weigh way too much.
Also, you don't really need to spend big on carbon soled shoes if you want to used eggbeaters, most MTB shoes are plenty stiff enough (or maybe I'm just not strong enough to make them flex :cry: )

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 20 Jul 2009, 17:53

Make sure you pick up a set of Crank Bros stainless steel shim plates if you are going to get CF soled MTB shoes, or the harness on the pedals can wear into the CF.

orphic

Postby orphic » 21 Jul 2009, 16:29

I'm going with Candy's. Getting a reasonable deal on them plus some Louis Garneau shoes (which means I don't have to get the white Shimano's - phew!) from CBD.

I'll have the gear on Friday ready for some weekend training. I need to give the bike a once over too. I really have no clue about maintaining it, the poor guy has been so neglected while my roadie has received all the love.

lindsay

Postby lindsay » 22 Jul 2009, 13:31

SPD's have the problem of picking up mud if you have to walk. When I did the Dirtworks 100km enduro last year I walked up hike-a-bike hill & my cleats were never the same again because they were full of dirt that didn't come out. At one point I sprayed chain lube over cleats to try to get them to work better, without good results. It wasn't until I got home & got stuck into them with a small screwdriver that I got all the dirt/sand particles out. However with last year's Scott 24hr I didn't do any walking so no cleat problems.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I've been working on a plan for my solo ride & here it is... what do you guys think ==>>

My aim is to do 7 laps (A + B course = 1 lap). One lap every 3 hours with my partner Anna to look after me. This allows me to drop one lap between midnight & 3am. Routine would be start on the hour & when I finish lap rest until scheduled start time.

12pm => 3pm / 3pm => 6pm / 6pm => 9pm / 9pm => 12am

3am => 6am / 6am => 9am & 9am to finish

One question... Last year I kept banging my knees & elbows, any recommendations on amor/padding. Worth the trouble or not good for this type of event.

Last year I went big on my food & didn't pay attention to camping/comforts. However there's lots of food there so I didn't eat much of what I brought however suffered with a tiny tent & a small shared table. This year I'm going for comforts, better tent & a big table, also sleeping in a car is good.

orphic

Postby orphic » 24 Jul 2009, 11:27

How long would it take for a slowie (me) to complete a loop?

christian

Postby christian » 24 Jul 2009, 12:44

Hard to say, its not just about your ability to pedal, bike handling comes into it. You can be a really strong rider and not be quick on technical tracks.

The 24hr isn't all that technical. Once you ride off road once or twice you/we will have a better idea how you'll be likely to go.

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 24 Jul 2009, 13:07

Last year I went big on my food & didn't pay attention to camping/comforts. However there's lots of food there so I didn't eat much of what I brought however suffered with a tiny tent & a small shared table. This year I'm going for comforts, better tent & a big table, also sleeping in a car is good.
Lindsay, I have a couple of comfy Chairs if you want to borrow them, although you seem to have your camping gear sorted.

alchemist

Postby alchemist » 24 Jul 2009, 22:35

One question... Last year I kept banging my knees & elbows, any recommendations on amor/padding. Worth the trouble or not good for this type of event.
I find any sort of armour too warm for anything other than a 5minute down hill run.

You can reasonable light stuff designed for XC rather than DH, such as
http://www.phantomcycles.com.au/p-5222- ... epads.aspx
http://www.phantomcycles.com.au/p-5218- ... uards.aspx
http://www.komcyclery.com.au/catalog/pr ... ts_id=1014

orphic

Postby orphic » 28 Jul 2009, 16:47

What tires would be recommended for the course? I need to buy some anyway. I have been reading about tires for the last hour and my head is now swimming.

A good option appears to be a Maxxis Ignitor 2.1 on the front and a Larsen TT 2.0 on the rear. But WTB Nanoraptor seem to get a good rap for both front and rear.

What's the holy grail when it comes to MTB tires?

NOOG

Postby NOOG » 28 Jul 2009, 17:15

What tires would be recommended for the course? I need to buy some anyway. I have been reading about tires for the last hour and my head is now swimming.

A good option appears to be a Maxxis Ignitor 2.1 on the front and a Larsen TT 2.0 on the rear. But WTB Nanoraptor seem to get a good rap for both front and rear.

What's the holy grail when it comes to MTB tires?
It will all depend on the weather conditions really. Stromlo is the dustiest course I've ever ridden. You want a tyre that can get rid of that surface layer of dust as traction's pretty good underneath. I got away with a very shallow, fast rolling tyre last year, but the weather was perfect. I would have been pretty screwed if it started to rain (I brought along a set of mud tyres as well though). I'd recommend running an all-round sort of combination if you're not willing to change your tyres with the conditions (or buy 4 sets of tyres).

Ignitor's are a great front tyre, not so good on the rear. Maxxis High Rollers are a good rear tyre if you want to stick with maxxis. I used to run this combination a lot. I'm not too sure about the Larsens, they don't look like they'd work very well if it happens to rain.

I'm currently running tubeless Maxxis Crossmarks on my XC bike, but they're getting towards the end of their life (and are only really good on dry or damp ground hopeless in the rain and mud). I'm going to order in a set of Schwalbe Racing Ralphs, they seem to be getting quite popular out on the trail. If they don't work out, I'll probably go back to the running an Ignitor on the front and High Roller on the back.

I know Christian is ordering in a set of Schwalbe Nobby Nics for his dually, which is another good option, more traction than the Racing Ralphs, but not as fast rolling. You could try a Nic on the front and Ralph on the back.

Buying MTB tyres are a pretty 'suck it and see' situation. Most of the reviews online are from the USA, so the conditions, and therefore the reviews, can be quite different to what we get in Australia.

Hope this helps :?

NOOG

Postby NOOG » 28 Jul 2009, 17:24

Without the waffle:

I'd say go with Ignitors on the front and Holy Rollers on the back.

WTB tyres have a reputation for being pretty heavy. They do last a long time though.

christian

Postby christian » 18 Aug 2009, 08:56

We are very close to having transport organised. We have a mini bus lined up, it even comes with a driver and an enclosed trailer for our bikes and camping gear. The trailer is going to be left at the race with us, if we have space, we'll be able to use it as a shed. The bus will be heading off to Canberra till we are ready to go home. The cost is a couple of hundred plus fuel. I think we are going to have a minimum of 10 people going down so the cost should be around the $50 each, maybe a little more. I'm not sure how many the bus will hold, maybe 15, I'll get this info.

orphic

Postby orphic » 18 Aug 2009, 15:22

The bus seats 20 people. For comfortability and to allow for excess luggage space you're probably looking at fitting 15 people. Depends on how many bikes are going in the trailer as to how much luggage can also fit in there.

I can get in touch with the guy relatively easily if you need more information.

christian

Postby christian » 24 Aug 2009, 10:05

With this race quickly approaching we need to sort out who will be coming down on the bus. This will include any support crew and hangers on you are bringing with you.

Add your name to the list

Christian
Victoria

lindsay

Postby lindsay » 24 Aug 2009, 16:17

Count me in...

Christian
Victoria
Lindsay

NOOG

Postby NOOG » 21 Sep 2009, 17:11

Course map is up...No more red and blue courses. Just a day lap and a night lap.
I'm not sure if this is a good idea. It'll be a lot more congested at the start.

http://www.scott24hr.com.au/race-info/the-course/

NOOG

Postby NOOG » 21 Sep 2009, 21:50

I sent an e-mail to the organisers regarding campsites for all of us. It looks like whoever turns up first can 'RESERVE' neighbouring sites for all of us. I won't be there until early Saturday morning. Is anyone planning to head in Friday afternoon/night?

"The sites are pre-allocated in the sense that only solos can use them. With the exception of prime sites reserved for elites such as Jason English, the rest are 'first in, best dressed', so get there early to claim contiguous sites for yourself and your mates. "

christian

Postby christian » 22 Sep 2009, 08:55

I'm heading down on the Friday, I may even get there while its still light. How many spots are we reserving?

NOOG

Postby NOOG » 22 Sep 2009, 17:05

I'm heading down on the Friday, I may even get there while its still light. How many spots are we reserving?
I Think 5

Christian
John
Simon
Lindsay
Kevin

I'm not sure about Glenno (whether he's entered or who he is =P). He mentioned he was considering it earlier in this thread.

orphic

Postby orphic » 01 Oct 2009, 12:06

What type of cookies make a mountain biker go faster?

;)

NOOG

Postby NOOG » 01 Oct 2009, 17:28

What type of cookies make a mountain biker go faster?

;)
EPO Cookies!

NOOG

Postby NOOG » 01 Oct 2009, 17:34

A few of us are planning a training ride on Saturday evening/night if people are interested.

We'll be doing Glenbrook up to Woodford and then back again. All up it's about 50km. As it's a training ride,we're looking to push the pace a little, so we're aiming for 3 hours (it's usually 2.5 in the day). Although, we're coming back the way we go up, so we can pick up any stragglers on the way through.

It's a night ride in the mountains so good quality lights are a pre-requisite.

We're aiming to leave Sydney at about 5pm on Saturday. If you're interested, reply on this thread and we can try to get transportation organised.

christian

Postby christian » 04 Oct 2009, 10:37

That was a silly training ride, don't need to do that again anytime soon.

NOOG

Postby NOOG » 04 Oct 2009, 15:54

That was a silly training ride, don't need to do that again anytime soon.
We can laugh about it now though :P

NOOG

Postby NOOG » 08 Oct 2009, 09:57

Ok. Not long now.
Let's see if we can get things organised so we don't needlessly double up on things. I guess it'd be easiest to add stuff we can all use under your name if you're bringing it.
John
3m x 4m gazebo
2 x small tables (one of these is for the stove)
dual burner camping stove
gas lantern (anyone have any more of these?)
bike tool kit (pretty comprehensive)
track pump
first aid kit
Christian
trolley (so we don't have to lug stuff)
water container
Lindsay
radio
Simon
little barbeque

does anyone have a rake that they can bring along? I remember last year, the campsite was pretty horrendous. I think the camping for the solos is a lot better though.
I guess whoever is there first on Friday can organise our area. The gazebo is pretty big. I'll try to get there by about 8-9am on Saturday so we can get it up.

lindsay

Postby lindsay » 08 Oct 2009, 11:03

Hi All,

Rake I can do.....

I can also bring a large table, that white one from Tempe we use.

I'll leave Sydney at about 10am & guard our campsites.

Cheers,

Lindsay

NOOG

Postby NOOG » 08 Oct 2009, 12:08

John
3m x 4m gazebo
2 x small tables (one of these is for the stove)
dual burner camping stove
gas lantern (anyone have any more of these?)
bike tool kit (pretty comprehensive)
track pump
first aid kit
Christian
trolley (so we don't have to lug stuff)
water container
Lindsay
radio
table
rake
Simon
little barbeque

christian

Postby christian » 09 Oct 2009, 09:52

Canberra forcast

Saturday Fine, early frost. Min 2 Max 15
Sunday Fine, early frost. Min 2 Max 16

This is going to be interesting, and cold.....

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 09 Oct 2009, 11:44

I have a gas lamp - it's a Primus fitting but I think I have an extender pole thingo with the correct fitting. MikeBytes has my bottle. PM me if you want it. Pickup only and I'm going out tonight (Fri) for dinner at about 17:00

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 09 Oct 2009, 17:27

If you want Stuarts bottle, its outside my back door, I'll be home around 8pm

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 09 Oct 2009, 18:37

If you want Stuarts bottle, its outside my back door, I'll be home around 8pm
I'm home

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 11 Oct 2009, 18:57

Here's the results i've found:
Place/Name/Laps/Time
56 John Nguyen 10 24:015:59.9
61 Christian Lees 9 24:010:56.9
76 Simon Llewellyn 7 23:50:30.0
83 Kevin Mills 6 23:31:05.9 (Think this is the right Kevin)

Did not finish Lindsay Munks 5 DNF

Full results are here
All in Solo Male, Lindsay in 40+

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 11 Oct 2009, 20:15

Well done guys

NOOG

Postby NOOG » 12 Oct 2009, 11:14

For those who are keen, the next 24hr is in Sydney (Wiseman's Ferry) in February. It looks like the organisers have booked a whole resort on site for riders to stay in (lodges and cabins are booked out but there are still powered sites available) which makes it a hell of a lot easier for the support crew.

http://www.rockytrailentertainment.com/

I'm keen if anyone else is.

orphic

Postby orphic » 13 Oct 2009, 08:31

They are running a 4hr race simultaneously with the 24hr. I think that could be a good introductory race, so I'm thinking about doing that.

Are there any other races around Sydney between now and then?

NOOG

Postby NOOG » 13 Oct 2009, 08:55

There's the Spring Fat Tyre Festival at Ourimbah State Forrest (not too far away).
http://www.wannaride.com.au/index.php?o ... 3&Itemid=2
It's an 8 1/4 hour ride. I've never done this race before, but I've ridden the trails, and they're a lot of fun.
Entry is quite reasonable as well.

NOOG

Postby NOOG » 15 Oct 2009, 06:55

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 15 Oct 2009, 16:08

what's everyone's race number? i can't be bothered randomly searching.

christian

Postby christian » 15 Oct 2009, 16:16

NOOG

Postby NOOG » 15 Oct 2009, 16:32

me 16
Simon 37
Lindsay 408

orphic

Postby orphic » 16 Oct 2009, 13:30

I spoke to the guys in City Bike Depot today and there's about 100 spots left for Spring Fat Tyre Festival, and apparently it's filling up at about 10 per day so you only have about a week to enter if you're considering doing it.

Apparently there is also only about 10 females entered, which makes me want to do it even more (I love being a minority). Despite the fact that the course is probably far too technical for me... But with an entry fee that cheap I would be happy with only doing a few laps if it came to that. Oh and there's that minor problem of my sisters engagement party on the Saturday evening...

NOOG

Postby NOOG » 24 Oct 2009, 06:21

Here's a few photos to whet people's appetites for next year.

DHBC Solo Riders

and of of course 2/3 our lovely support crew (not looking so supportive)

orphic

Postby orphic » 08 Nov 2009, 12:31

Just remembered I was going to post this, Rockstar Racing are making a doco on the Scott 24hr. There's a preview here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLgzWpPWtCY

I thought that maybe I could see Lindsay's tent in some of it, but I'm not sure - it's probably someone elses.

I just watched that '24 Solo' documentary based on the 2006 worlds. It's a pretty good insight into just how insane the ultra competitive guys are.

Return to “Mountain”