Highland Fling

For the MTB and mud/dirt/rock lovers...
orphic

Postby orphic » 01 Jul 2010, 09:22

Entires are open. Anyone doing it? I want to, but it isn't exactly cheap. Christian is still making up his mind though... If you want in you're going to have to register this morning or buy a ticket off the millions of people selling them later on.

There is a 100 mile option for the hardcore. I've been told it's all very beautiful riding. I was considering doing the 100km on a cross bike for added pain.

megatron

Postby megatron » 01 Jul 2010, 10:00

Hmmm, I think I will be in for this one too, though my enthusiasm may drop depending on how I go with the Angry Dr.

Signing up for the Full Fling this morn.

kiwiames

Postby kiwiames » 01 Jul 2010, 11:00

I really need a mountian bike!, this type of riding sounds way to much fun.

orphic

Postby orphic » 01 Jul 2010, 11:23

You do! Once I get my new one I might have one that people can borrow. Either with the current frame or a new one... The fit is a bit more flexible with mountain bikes so you might be able to ride it.

MtbAnt

Postby MtbAnt » 01 Jul 2010, 12:27

Hey folks, I'm in, so if anyone wants to carpool, I can probably take one or two, depending on whether Bec wants to come with. I'll be heading down for the Bundanoon Dash too! (I haven't organised accommodation yet)

My first hundred K, I'm mildly excited (eeeep!)

Hope to see you there!

Anthony.

PS. WOOOOOOO!

MtbAnt

Postby MtbAnt » 01 Jul 2010, 12:29

PPS. I can probably loan a large giant full suspension or most of it anyway, as I should have my Merida hardtail built by then.

orphic

Postby orphic » 18 Aug 2010, 11:33

Is that lift still on offer Anthony? I'm thinking of getting a ticket, I'm sure people will start to sell them soon enough. Have you though about where you're going to stay?

MtbAnt

Postby MtbAnt » 22 Aug 2010, 23:24

Hey Orphic,
I hadn't really thought about where we'll stay, but I've entered the dash as well, so we were thinking of heading down earlyish on the Saturday. Have you seen an entry up for grabs yet? You are definitely welcome, we'll just fold one of the seats in the car and take F/R wheels off. Camping or hotel are on the cards, budget permitting. Talk soon though,
Ant.

orphic

Postby orphic » 15 Nov 2010, 15:39

It was a great weekend of racing for the two DHBC members, Anthony Platts-Baggs and Victoria Armstrong, who represented the prestigious cycling club in the Open Male and Open Female categories at the Highland Fling on the weekend.

Saturday evening saw Platts-Baggs make a sprint for gold at the Bundanoon dash, and if only he had remembered to fix his transponder to his bike there might be a report of the astounding time he managed to smash himself in. At this stage lets just say it was “some time after the elites”. At the same time Armstrong was waging a battle of her very own with a number of pizzas that were cut into tiny squares – not ideal handling size when ones goal is to eat as much as possible before it’s all devoured by carbo loading cyclists.

The morning of the big race Platts-Baggs and Armstrong lined up at the start in Bundanoon with mixed emotions. “All we have to do is ride now” Armstrong exclaimed, after expressing her hate for the whole preparation and nerves around these races. Platts-Baggs couldn’t wipe the smile off his face and he was clearly excited to get out there and attack the course. “Keep the pace steady” is what he declared his strategy to be. They had some pretty big goals - a 6 hour and 7 hour finish time, although Platts-Baggs may have mentioned something about 6 ½ hrs which Armstrong quickly refuted based on the size of his bulging calf muscles. The gun went off and the two red jerseys started their race. Armstrong made a quick move to drop Platts-Baggs which saw her out leading for 3 minutes, after which he sailed past her never to be seen again.

The days racing was a roller coaster of ups and downs for most. Platts-Baggs later reported that he made some friends out there and dreamt of tinier gears as well as more water bottles. Armstrong remained stubborn and refused to get off her bike even when walking might have been faster – some say her arse was actually glued to the seat with Gu. Dehydration, heat exhaustion, cramping and nausea were all part of the fun that eventually led to them coming home within precisely one hour of each other. Platts-Baggs fought through the endless hills for a total of 6:52 and Armstrong for 7:52 over the very difficult 112km route.

After all the pain and all the fun, lots of calories were consumed and they both went to sleep in their respective homes dreaming of hills, hills, hills, rocks, single track, hills, rocks, hill, hills, hills, cramps.. And probably woke up this morning wondering when they get to do it all again.

Garmin here - http://connect.garmin.com/activity/56623359 (The distance and average speeds are a bit out of wack because I turned off auto pause so I could get an accurate race time, and stopped recording between timing mats at transition)

othy

Postby othy » 15 Nov 2010, 16:56

Great report.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 15 Nov 2010, 17:38

Interesting how your HR had a graphically obvious negative slope over time.

MtbAnt

Postby MtbAnt » 16 Nov 2010, 09:41

HAHA brilliant report V. Well done on a course well ridden! I'm still eating...

I ended up finishing the dash a shade under 12 minutes, for an average speed of about 30km/h down Constitution Hill, round the loop and back up The Hill. Rob Parbery assissted my recovery by following shortly after with a keg strapped to his front rack...on the bike people. The fine lager seemed to rehydrate with it's light (read frothy) texture and provided an excellent start to a relaxing pre-race evening.

The day of the ride was a bit of madness in the morning, realising I needed to strap a tube and pump to my frame and get my bottles sorted with something slightly more isotonic than the Bitburger. Screaming down the hill to the camping area, brekkie stalls, GU trailer and start/finish area, I managed to scab a $20 off Christian (cheers!) for some cereal, yoghurt and toast half an hour before the gun (there wasn't really a gun, just a beep). I also picked up a stash of GU, which came in really handy. Note to any future Flingers, take plenty of cash, as ATMs are limited.

The start was pretty quick and I think both Vic and I were caught up in the excitement. ~15k's of rolling firetrail and meadows and we came to a knee deep stream crossing, the first of about three I think, I was very thankful to get away without knicks full of sand. A bottle dropped from my cage and was OK, but the lid had shot off and is still at large. So 30k's or so in, I was running on 1 DHBC bidon, nice. I thought I'd be ok when the first feed station came shortly after, but I was pretty well mistaken, as my need for hydration increased, feed station frequency decreased. The Wall proved too much for most, myself included, while ironically the Great Wall was much more ammenable to our legs.

I came across 3 fellas riding in Bike Minded (Blue Mountains) gear and drafted for a good while, before Si sheared his rear hub, we hit some more single trail and the mini bunch sort of dissipated. Thanks for the company Si, Simon and Aaron.

Not too much later I met Geoff Barnes, a weekend warrior from Port Macquarie, who was very kind to top my bidon up with some water from his camelbak. He was cramping a little as well, so between the next couple of feed sations i split my next two verofit packets and we were back on our merry way. Many a hill and water-bar-licious dale descent later, the reigning 24hour female champ from Hastings Valley (Port Mac Mtb club) pulled up beside us and Geoff was off to make sure he'd finished with nothing left.

I spotted Rob Parbery as he flew past me on his singlespeed cyclocross bike moments from the finish line - bloody well done.

I look forward to next year, this has DHBC's (and especially NOOG's) name all over it.

alchemist

Postby alchemist » 16 Nov 2010, 12:35

I spotted Rob Parbery as he flew past me on his singlespeed cyclocross bike moments from the finish line - bloody well done.
Vic promises me she's racing it 'cross next year

orphic

Postby orphic » 16 Nov 2010, 13:45

I never promised... But I will if you keep growing the beard for next year and ride a penny ;)

Return to “Mountain”