Continental Gatorskins Tyres

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
Daryl

Postby Daryl » 13 Oct 2008, 10:10

Thanks to the guys who helped me with my puncture yesterday on the way to Waterfall.

I'm using Continental Gatorskin tyres and was thinking less of the tyres given the puncture, which we talked about at Cafe BoBo. But when I got home, I checked my tyres again and was amazed at the number of cuts. Think the tyres have saved me from atleast 5 punctures already. :)
So I take back my comments on the tyres.

Given the number of cuts on my tyres, does anyone have any recommendations on whether I need to replace them now or just keep going till the tread runs out?

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 13 Oct 2008, 10:41

I've used conti gatorskins think there a good puncture resistant training tyre. My general philosophy is to buy a few tyres in bulk (if you can get a good price) and change them every 6 to 12 months.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 13 Oct 2008, 12:06

Cuts don't affect a tyre unless it lets the tyre bulge at that point. You just have to examine those cuts regularly to pick out glass fragments from within them. If left alone, they may puncture the tyre on the next ride.

micklan

Postby micklan » 13 Oct 2008, 19:25

I've got Continental Gatorskin tyres - it's a slice and slash fest all over them - great tyres for resisting punctures, suprised you got a flat. Where did you get the flat tyre?

williamd

Postby williamd » 16 Oct 2008, 21:02

I have continential GP 4000s tyres. Got a puncture from a screw when riding with the slowies on a Saturday.
I find these tyres have good puncture resistance however as the wise Man of cycling (Weiyun) said , you have to check your tyres for glass inbeded in cuts after each ride.

A check a day will keep the flat away.

Daryl

Postby Daryl » 17 Oct 2008, 08:16

I've got Continental Gatorskin tyres - it's a slice and slash fest all over them - great tyres for resisting punctures, suprised you got a flat. Where did you get the flat tyre?
I was quite surprised as well. The cut was about 1cm long and obviously made it all the way thru to the tube. It happened last weekend on the way to Waterfall. Prob a few km's before the turnaround point.

I've just put a patch under the tyre to provide some protection but will need to fill up the gap with something to stop water/dust/dirt going in.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 17 Oct 2008, 08:25

If it's truly a 1cm cut, then I'd be surprised if the tyre doesn't bulge at that point. And in that case, you really should change it. A bulging tyre is a dangerous tyre as it indicates that the strength of the carcass has been compromised. Otherwise, putting in filler/glue (eg. Superglue) is pointless in those smaller cuts as they'll re-split on the next ride.

Daryl

Postby Daryl » 17 Oct 2008, 08:33

Thanks for the tips Weiyun :D

I noticed the bulge when I was riding on Wednesday. Didn't think it was going to be big enough to worry. :? silly me.

Lucky, I'm expecting my new tyres today. So I'll make sure I change them over before tomorrow's ride.

Return to “Conversation”