Wheel building equipment

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
FAswad

Postby FAswad » 21 Aug 2007, 20:35

James

A while back I had a discussion with James F about wheel building equipment. James mentioned the Minoura Workman Pro as a value for money wheel building stand. I also found out then that this is the stand that our master wheel builder Sir Lindsay Wheelbuilder Munks owns.

I am about to shell out for some wheel building equipment of my own(Stand dishing tool etc). Is it still the general consensus that this is the best value for money wheel building stand around? Has anyone had an experience with any other equipment that might be worth owning?

Here's the Minoura http://www.deanwoods.com.au/store/prod383.htm

Thanks for your thoughts
F

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 21 Aug 2007, 21:46

I haven't found anything that's better value yet, though i'm waiting until the 28h hubs i'm searching for turn up on ebay.

Just make sure you buy it as a kit, because you'll need that dishing tool, and you may want to invest in a nicer spoke key.

Hopefully Master wheelbuilder Munks will chime in! :D

lindsay

Postby lindsay » 22 Aug 2007, 13:07

Oh you guys... :oops:

Yes that is the same truing stand as I use & I've never wanted for more. The nipple keys are a very important part. One can do a lot of damage with bad ones.

I put a small amount of Locktight 222 into the nipple as I'm building.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 21 Sep 2007, 22:03

So, have you got it yet?

I just found a brake rubbing spot on the front wheel and isn't sure if it's a buckle from a pot hole or the wheel going out of true. :?

FAswad

Postby FAswad » 22 Sep 2007, 21:15

YES Weiyun!! i now have the stand and dishing tool, but have yet to use them. Would be happy to lend them to you if you want to have a crack at your wheel.
So, have you got it yet?

I just found a brake rubbing spot on the front wheel and isn't sure if it's a buckle from a pot hole or the wheel going out of true. :?

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 22 Sep 2007, 23:15

Thanks. I was just wondering how it's working for you? It looked to be a very convenient package in the photo. I think I should invest in a unit too at some stage.

Return to “Conversation”