DHBC Christmas track carnival tonightt!!! wed 29.12.10

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
timyone

Postby timyone » 28 Dec 2010, 13:37

hey every one just a reminder that we have our track carnival tomorrow night at tempe, racing starting about 6:05, and there will be lotsa stuff to do :D turn up for the bbq, the racing, and the cans of coke :D
Last edited by timyone on 28 Dec 2010, 23:08, edited 1 time in total.

timyone

Postby timyone » 28 Dec 2010, 14:03

im wondering if any one would consider making some kind of pasta which we could sell after racing, as its good to have pasta after an event when you need to race again. They had it at coffs harbour but it wasnt well marketed, im trying to work out if i will be home early enough to make some and bring it up, but not sure ill be able to.

Theres a chance not that many people will actually buy it, though i think its a really good idea either way.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 28 Dec 2010, 14:59

If we're helping with the juniors, what time do we turn up?

timyone

Postby timyone » 28 Dec 2010, 15:11

Juniors start at 4, so I'm guessing close to that, there's a chance that sothern cross are now going to be involved, so we need to confirm that we are needed for it

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 29 Dec 2010, 06:40

I'll be there around 7.30pm and do whatever races are still remaining

orphic

Postby orphic » 29 Dec 2010, 10:06

I didn't get time to bake cookies for this years carnival :(

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 29 Dec 2010, 11:29

Is there a bike that I could borrow if I was to venture onto the track? a junior size bike would be just the ticket. I hope not to crash it.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 29 Dec 2010, 12:22

Is there a bike that I could borrow if I was to venture onto the track? a junior size bike would be just the ticket. I hope not to crash it.
Give Lindsay a call

timyone

Postby timyone » 29 Dec 2010, 21:56

that went heaps well thanks to every one that helped, especially Ian for the sound!

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 29 Dec 2010, 22:23

It was a good night, wish I was there for all of it. Here's the writeup I put on BNA

Wednesday 29th December 2010

Sydney Christmas Carnivals - Day 2 - Tempe (333mtr) - C grade

Had advised them that I wasn't turning up until about 7.30pm as I had a spin class at North Strathfield. So I did my spin class and rode straight to Tempe Velodrome, where Toff had already placed my bike. On the way over I was thinking that I was too rooted from the spin class to race, but once I got there I had the inspiration. They were down to A grade for the one lap screamers and if I had used my head I could of stuck myself in A grade for that race and got 1 point but I didn't think of that until it was too late. So there were only 2 races left, one scored points and one didn't. I downed an energy gel and went out on the track

Winners Race - 15 laps? Winners on 11, 8, 5, 2 (off memory) - didn't place
My strategy was not to contest the first sprint but to sit in behind them to keep myself close to the front and contest the second sprint. All went to plan and I went around the other riders on the final curve and then was out gunned to the finish line.

Can't remember what happened with the 3 sprint but then with the 4th sprint a young guy went around me and I tagged on, he was dragging me to the front, but then I realised he wasn't going to catch the 2 riders ahead and it was over, so I rolled off. Bad mistake as the young guy caught them and won, if I had stayed on his wheel I would of had a fighting chance. The say it ain't over till the fat lady sings and that was true I should of kept going.

B grade vs C grade miss-em-out elimination race - 2nd
C got 1/2 lap handicap + 3 seconds. There were tons of riders more than 30 I'd say. I was the front bike and I was going to lead them out slowly to get the bunch together, I didn't want dropped C grade riders to help out B grade with extra laps.

Then Crafty said 'B grade start' instead of 'C grade start' which confused the hell out of everyone, there were C grade riders everywhere with some bad gaps, but fortunately the front riders had some common sense and filled the gaps as they rolled. Pace was hot, someone said to me afterwards it was 48kph+ I don't know if this was an estimate of if he had a speedo. However the C grade boys were doing a fine job of keeping the pace high and just as importantly smooth. Unfortunately we were shedding riders left right and centre, every time I rolled there were less C grade riders. At one point I had to ride around a fellow club member to get back on as he went into gradual meltdown. Hugh Gray blew on the front on his turn and this left me with 3/4 lap instead of my 1/2 lap turn. However the good news as that B grade were not gaining, they stayed a full 1/2 lap behind for the entire time which also meant there were no double eliminations meaning that the race was going to go for a massive 30 laps+ that's a long way on a velodrome at that pace.

Finally it was down to the remaining C graders, but they were still dropping like flys. With 4 of left we made our first attack but 4th place dropped off so we eased up. Then I went to pin a rider in, but he saw the move and moved out, however the other guy was pretty much spent and we made easy pickings of him and that left 2, I was behind and I made my move as we went into the last curve but he was too strong for me so I came second.

Pretty dam good for someone who did a spin class, rode straight to the velodrome and still takes a placing in a massive race, I pretty dam pleased about that.

Better get some shut eye, I've got a 7am spin class in the CBD in the morning

yewenyi

Postby yewenyi » 30 Dec 2010, 13:16

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 30 Dec 2010, 18:54

Return to “Conversation”