Australian Masters Track Championship - Entries Close 10 Mar

For all things Velodrome
mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 09 Mar 2011, 11:56

Short notice I know, but if your going to enter the Aussie Masters Track Championship, you better pull finger, entries close tomorrow

They are at Dunc Gray this year

http://www.nsw.cycling.org.au/cy_nsw/ca ... lendar.htm

Thu 24 Mar 11
11300 2011 SCODY Cycling Australia Masters Track Cycling Championships - TIME TRIAL
11303 2011 SCODY Cycling Australia Masters Track Cycling Championships - Mens Points Race

Fri 25 Mar 11
11301 2011 SCODY Cycling Australia Masters Track Cycling Championships - MEN'S SPRINT Div 1- 4
11302 2011 SCODY Cycling Australia Masters Track Cycling Championships - Womens Individual Pursuit
11312 2011 SCODY Cycling Australia Masters Track Cycling Championships - Mens Individual Pursuit 5+

Sat 26 Mar 11
11307 2011 SCODY Cycling Australia Masters Track Cycling Championships - WOMEN'S SPRINT
11311 2011 SCODY Cycling Australia Masters Track Cycling Championships - MEN'S SPRINT Div 5+
11313 2011 SCODY Cycling Australia Masters Track Cycling Championships - Mens Individual Pursuit 1-4

Sun 27 Mar 11
11304 2011 SCODY Cycling Australia Masters Track Cycling Championships - MENS Team Sprint
11305 2011 SCODY Cycling Australia Masters Track Cycling Championships - MENS Team Pursuit +150years
11306 2011 SCODY Cycling Australia Masters Track Cycling Championships - Womens Points Race
11308 2011 SCODY Cycling Australia Masters Track Cycling Championships - MENS Team Pursuit Open All ages
11309 2011 SCODY Cycling Australia Masters Track Cycling Championships - WOMENS Team Pursuit
11310 2011 SCODY Cycling Australia Masters Track Cycling Championships - WOMENS Team Sprint

wallman

Postby wallman » 09 Mar 2011, 13:33

In a fit of optimism I've entered the pursuit and points race.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 09 Mar 2011, 13:43

I'll probably do it the same. Are we interested in a Team Pursuit?

Interesting, there is no scratch race

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 10 Mar 2011, 11:21

I've entered the points race and individual pursuit.

Entries close today. If I don't hear from anyone, I won't enter a team pursuit for Sunday

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 24 Mar 2011, 16:31

What a great first day for DHBC riders at the Australian Masters Track Championships which started today at Dunc Gray. The reports I have so far are:

Joanne (Trouty) did a PB in the ITT, placing 4th and was she ever pleased about it! (don't know if I'm allowed to post her time but it was .40 below her target she's so stoked);

Mike Clement (mikesbytes) got 3rd in the points race - fantastic result from Mike and very well deserved.

Matt Wallman (Wallman) got 4th in the scratch which is totally excellent.

I'm sure that the riders themselves will fill us all in later but thought I'd post these as they've come to hand via SMS.

Go DHBC!!!

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 24 Mar 2011, 16:49

Wow those are some excellent results!~ Well done!

Rainbow

Postby Rainbow » 24 Mar 2011, 17:07

Congratulations to you all!

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 24 Mar 2011, 17:39

Thursday 24th March 2011

Australian Track Championships - Points Race - 60 laps, 15k
Result: 3rd - Bronze Medal

I haven't got this 100% right as the points don't add up correctly, but here's the report

Sprint 1
I wasn't in it for the first sprint, but as soon as it was over a rider went off the front and then another rider, so I took chase eventually caught the second guy, we worked together and caught the first guy and then we were a team of 3 who worked together and stayed off the front.
Sprint 2
Second sprint I got my first points coming second. Then the other 2 rides got away from me and caught the pack to take 20 bonus points each leaving me in no mans land but also in the lead
Sprint 3
I rode solo for the next 10 laps take 1st in the next sprint as I was solo
Sprint 4
Still Solo in the front, I got to about 70mtrs from the pack when of course it did its sprint taking it back out to a 1/2 lead. Still 1st though
Sprint 5
Continued solo but got caught by two riders and the 3 of us went for the next set of points, giving me another 3rd.
Sprint 6
The main pack had destroyed itself so there were in effect 6 riders remaining. The judges decided that the 3 of us out the front were the pack, so there was no longer the chance to gain 20 points, so I settled down into the group. Come the sprint I didn't have the legs and settled for another 3rd.

I should feel elated, but I actually feel like crap, to be honest I'm still a bit sick and this race has knocked it out of me

wallman

Postby wallman » 24 Mar 2011, 17:50

Mike's 3rd was an awesome effort. He went off in pursuit of a lone rider early on and spent the next 30-odd laps either by himself or in a small group of 3 or 4 off the front of the race. 2 other guys he worked with took laps but Mike couldn't make the junction and just kept plugging away. It was hilarious and impressive to watch.

I'm a little disappointed with my scratch race. I did it very easy and was on the right wheel but I just can't sprint well enough to compete at this level. It's definately time to work on it because these near-misses are becoming frustrating. I was actually just looking at the program and according to the clauses and rules they put on combined grade scratch races I think that fourth was actually worth gold in Masters 1 but they didn't award it for whatever reason. They did award separate medals in the other combined grade though. Anyway the pursuit on Saturday should hopefully set this right!

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 24 Mar 2011, 18:33

With 3 laps to go, it looked like to me that it was down to 4 riders, one of which was Matt. Matt looked strong as the 4 of them pulled away at the end, I thought was going to get a medal. So close Matt.

Matt's scratch race was a combined M1 & M2 scratch race. If M1 and M2 had been separate, Matt would of taken a medal.

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 24 Mar 2011, 18:45

I'm a little disappointed with my scratch race. I did it very easy and was on the right wheel but I just can't sprint well enough to compete at this level.
Yeah...Matty looked pretty comfortable the whole race and was in a good position (4th wheel) last few laps. I agree - he is fit enough to be up there but a bit more work on his sprint and he will be up on the podium soon. Maybe some weights to be done on those skinny enduro legs?

Mikes race was pretty impressive. He was out in a breakaway on his own for a long time and I really thought he was cactus, but he plugged away with the small breakaway group. The guy in 4th place was in the breakaway group and he had to win the last lap to get bronze. Luckily he was overtaken and came 2nd - leaving Mike to finish the last lap for 3rd place and the bronze overall.

I was pretty happy with 4th. It was almost 2 seconds better than last March, so once you break that time barrier that seemed impossible a year ago - it's a good feeling.

There were a lot of points races that were really great to watch today, so all in all it was a great day of racing and DHBC did pretty well I think.

timyone

Postby timyone » 24 Mar 2011, 21:58

llol! nice work every one! ive been saying Mike is fit at the moment!

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 24 Mar 2011, 22:03

Some photos before the batteries went flat
On the way to work

Matt ready to race

Early in Matt's race

The pace picks up

Alex Simmons and me

My competitors

Just before I went for the break. Later in the race I lapped Joyce, who is behind me in this shot, but because I wasn't the bunch Joyce didn't loose 20 points. Then the 2 riders caught me, making it 4 but Joyce was still a lap down, not loosing his 20 points. Then the communsures decided we were the bunch as the rest of the field had mainly blown. I think that gave Joyce -20 points and put him on the same lap, but around that time Joyce blew anyway. The points seem complicated when it breaks apart.

Blurry picture but this is the podium break

Artson

Postby Artson » 24 Mar 2011, 22:22

I was actually just looking at the program and according to the clauses and rules they put on combined grade scratch races I think that fourth was actually worth gold in Masters 1 but they didn't award it for whatever reason.
Wallman
Just to let you know!..... I had the script with your name in gold for the first medal presentation. After repeated calls by presenters for div 1 medallists and with no Master 1 riders to be seen in race kit, I received word that there were no riders present for the masters 1 presentation. This was very frustrating as it caused a lengthy delay in the presentation schedule.

wallman

Postby wallman » 25 Mar 2011, 07:29

Wallman
Just to let you know!..... I had the script with your name in gold for the first medal presentation. After repeated calls by presenters for div 1 medallists and with no Master 1 riders to be seen in race kit, I received word that there were no riders present for the masters 1 presentation. This was very frustrating as it caused a lengthy delay in the presentation schedule.
I'm not sure how I missed that, sorry! I was amongst the group of 8 or so that were hanging around the desk before the presentation because I wanted to see Mike get his medal so I couldn't really have been in a better spot to step up when called. Looks like my presentation attendance and sprint have a lot in common.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 25 Mar 2011, 08:50

Thanks for the cometary Crafty, I didn't look at the board once, I just listened to you. After the first sprint I realised there was no kick in me at all (due to having not fully recovered from being sick) and my only chance was to take a different tactic. At lap 30, even though I was 1/2 ahead, I was concerned about loosing a lap, but the bunch only sped up once and I was able to respond to it.

Couple of dodgy pictures, will purchase from the photographer when they are available (was it bernie?)

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 25 Mar 2011, 10:55

Wallman
So should I change the header now to Matty wins Gold at Aussie Champs?

wallman

Postby wallman » 25 Mar 2011, 12:15

So should I change the header now to Matty wins Gold at Aussie Champs?
As per this thread that's Mr National Champion to you Jo!

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 25 Mar 2011, 12:50

As per this thread that's Mr National Champion to you Jo!

ok Mr State Champion - does that mean you get the Gold Medal?? Do you want me to pick it up for you tomorrow, or is it a case of if you weren't there to collect it you miss out!!

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 25 Mar 2011, 12:58

I also forgot to mention - even though Shaun isn't officially in our club now - he got a Bronze in the Time Trial - even after a woeful start on the gates, and also Bronze in the sprint derby. By the way - he has donated his DHBC track skins and a DHBC Jersey to me to donate to the club. PM me if you are interested and I will work out what is the fairest way to give it out. eg: To the most needy, out of a hat - if more than 1 person is interested.
Last edited by Trouty on 26 Mar 2011, 00:46, edited 1 time in total.

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 25 Mar 2011, 16:27

As per the results HERE

Well Done Mr National Champion!!

Also, great results Jo and Mike!

Karzie

Postby Karzie » 25 Mar 2011, 18:09

Brilliant racing Matt, Mike and Jo
DHBC Go Go Go !

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 25 Mar 2011, 20:24

LOL Matt, 2 entrants in MMAS1. There was no chance of meeting the minimum 10 for a points race.

Wow, the points don't make sense in my race. This is what I think happened, with the top 3 finishers;
sprint 1
HARRIS, Mark 0
DARRACOTT, Steve 0
CLEMENT, Michael 0

sprint 2
HARRIS, Mark 1st - 5
CLEMENT, Michael 2nd - 3
DARRACOTT, Steve 3rd - 2

Then Harris and Darracott gain a lap, isn't that worth 20 points
HARRIS, Mark 25
DARRACOTT, Steve 22
CLEMENT, Michael 3

Fast forward to the final results
HARRIS, Mark 1st 32
DARRACOTT, Steve 2nd 21
CLEMENT, Michael 3rd 14

So what happened to Darracott's points ?????

I'm also a little puzzled how MARSHALL, Lewis ended up only one point behind me. I'd like to see the breakdown by each sprint.

timyone

Postby timyone » 26 Mar 2011, 09:56

go matt~~~~~~~!!!!!!!!!!!!!! national champion?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kiwiames

Postby kiwiames » 26 Mar 2011, 11:35

WEll done to all - Espically Mike!!!! Bronze in a field with enough riders. Awesome riding Mike.

Artson

Postby Artson » 26 Mar 2011, 20:14

Points are all correct

there is a rule in the masters section of the Tech-Regs that say's in a points race less then 20km a lap if worth 10 points

"only in masters"

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 27 Mar 2011, 17:31

Day 3-4 Update: Jo got 3rd in the WMAS4 Sprint and Scratch.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 27 Mar 2011, 17:45

Thanks Crafty, makes sense now

Thursday night I was quite sick and had no intention of fronting for the Individual Pursuit. I was also aware their was no kick in my legs, as was exhibited in the points race. I wasn't too sure what to do with my track bike, that was locked to Computers one.

Anyway I perked up, so decided to front.

Result: 2m40s average speed 45kph 11th out of 12. First time I've done 2000mtrs so I have no other data. Last Individual Pursuit I did at Dunc Gray as 3000mtrs in 2009 which I did 4m9s (using Choppo's 404's), so my 2000 split was 6s faster, but you can't really compare 2000 with 3000.

The air felt heavy, it was a little cooler than at the Team Pursuit, so perhaps a bit denser. I'd say that my lack of kick contributed to that feel and the ride position didn't help. Significant equipment disadvantage, wheels and my body is too high, need a 30deg 70mm stem. Looking at the 3 riders that did the NSW (2 weeks prior) as well as the Australian individual pursuit, all 3 were slower at the Australian ones 1.1s, 2.1s and 1.5s

I've looked at all the issues and if I factor them all in, I'm still way off the pace. Give me a top bike and my best legs and I still don't get to the pointy end, perhaps in 3 years or so...

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 27 Mar 2011, 17:46

Fantastic news go Jo !!!!!!

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 27 Mar 2011, 18:09

Thanks Stu. The sprint bronze was a surprise given I was petrified of this event having next to no experience, but the scratch race was heaps of fun. All I can say about this national carnival is that I learned a sh#t load and to all the girls at DHBC that seriously want to do track, you need to enter things like RAW and especially state titles as this one of the few opportunities to race against woman. There were plenty of novices at state level so you have to start some where and the more woman the better the racing. We are lucky - Sydney has some very strong woman track racers so you get great experience riding with them - and they all help and encourage and naturally lift your performance.

The team events were the most fun to ride with this years woman's team sprint and team pursuit (both having 11 teams and 8 respectively). A bigger % compared to actual riders than the men, so hopefully that sends a sign to make the events official and not demo events. The funniest thing I saw was one lady rider from Bathurst (who was no slouch on the bike) have her very young baby with her the whole carnival. I think in one of the medal presentations she had just finished breastfeeding before she stepped up to the podium.....commitment.

Anyway - hope to see more woman next year in masters..
Last edited by Trouty on 28 Mar 2011, 03:22, edited 1 time in total.

wallman

Postby wallman » 27 Mar 2011, 19:20

That's great news Jo. I was very impressed with the way you went about your qualifying and quarter final, you looked very composed and purposeful which is possibly half the battle. Very pleased that you got a medal. I'll cancel those certificates that I commissioned.

Return to “Track”