Save the dates! Track season is here (plus info for Jr's)

For all things Velodrome
Lizanne

Postby Lizanne » 10 Sep 2012, 10:53

Woohoo! It’s that time of year again. Track Season!!!
So this is what I’m planning on entering. For all the Jr’s with racing licenses. I’ve added the Jr events and ages that correspond with the dates I’ll be competing. There are a couple more events (national series, Coffs harbor track open) but this list is the main stuff.

Save the dates

Saturday November 10th
Presidents Cup (U13-masters)
Team pursuit (U17- Elite) (Ash, Jo the Builder, Lizanne)

Friday November 16th
250m TT (one lap screamer!) U17-Elite

Saturday November 17th
Scody Junior Sydney Cup on Wheels (U9-U17)
Scody Sydney Cup on Wheels (U19- masters)
Also on this day- The Madison!

Sunday November 18th
NSW sprint Champs

Friday November 23rd
NSW Elite, U19 & Para-Cycling Time Trial Championships

Saturday November 24th
31st Junior Clarence Street Cyclery Cup (U9-U17)
31st Clarence Street Cyclery Cup
NSW Elite & U19 Men Kerin Championships

Saturday December 1st
Southern Highlands Open (should be U9- Masters)

Saturday December 15th
Illawarra Track Open (U9-masters)

Sunday December 16th
NSW Club Team Sprint Championships U17 – Elite (Ash, Lizanne)

Thur 27 - Mon 31st Dec
Sydney Christmas Carnivals Entire Series! (U9- masters)

More details at http://www.nsw.cycling.org.au/cy_nsw/ca ... lendar.htm

rhys

Postby rhys » 10 Sep 2012, 16:40

Keen for a couple of these. We can talk about it at the track tonight.

Lizanne

Postby Lizanne » 11 Sep 2012, 08:50

I'll be down on wednesday.
Jo, Ash, we need to do a few team pursuits (9 laps of tempe) to get a feel for the speeds we can push.

patn

Postby patn » 11 Sep 2012, 09:16

Sounds good. im entering the 250m and 1000m TTs, sprint and Kieran. the sprint is on a little later in the year this time which isn't great, but oh well....

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 11 Sep 2012, 19:13

Didn't take long for me to get dropped from the Team Sprint! :shock:

Lizanne

Postby Lizanne » 12 Sep 2012, 08:36

Oh no!
i didn't mean to drop you. i didn't think you wanted to do it.

But it's the team pursuit we need to practice! you down tonight? i recon we do 2x3km to get a sense of what times we're doing

timyone

Postby timyone » 13 Sep 2012, 20:56

lol! I was going to tell Liz that its not a great idea to put the teams you have picked months in advance, up on the net, with out any sort of trial! :p

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 21 Oct 2012, 20:04

I've entered;
- NSW Track Open (closes tonight)
- Presidents Cup
- Sydney Cup on Wheel

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 04 Nov 2012, 21:36

NSW Track Open report
Nothing really exciting to report.
Race 1 - Scratch race - I didn't warm up, didn't get dropped, didn't place.
Race 2 - Motor Pace - Positioned myself well, but was gapped a bit when Brownie kicked coming into the last lap. Rolled across the line in 6th place.

----2hrs+ sitting around waiting for the Points race championships to be done---

Race 3 - Elimination - Pretty hairy at the start, riders everywhere, and a nice bump into my bars, but no crashes. So i moved around the top to escape the chaos, and then decided i may as well sit on the front, which i did for 6 laps. Of course my tactical blunder was getting off the front, getting myself boxed in and being eliminated. I should have stayed on the front....
-2 races remaining (motor and points), motivation waning, so instead I decided to leave so i could drink some nice Czech Beers.

Disappointing event really, mainly due to the scheduling of the points races in the middle, hopefully they'll sort this issue out for next year, especially with plenty of Juniors also having to wait around for all that time.

The good part of the afternoon/evening was Matt's great effort in the Elite Men's Points Race (160laps of suffering). He stuck in there, coming close to picking up points in a couple of sprints, only going down 1lap mid race when the pace was really up. Luckily he recovered, and finished with that single lap deficit.

patn

Postby patn » 05 Nov 2012, 21:48

nice work guys. awesome stuff matty, 160 laps is unbelievable...i'm sure the pace was crazy fast!

shrubb face

Postby shrubb face » 06 Nov 2012, 12:44

Raced the state omnium on sunday on my own. Ended up finishing 8th overal. Could of finished higher up the standings but tactical errors in the points and elimation races ruled that out. Rode a pb in the pursuit, which given ive only been doing hard training for the last month im pretty happy with.

Next up the team pursuit this coming saturday and the madison the weekend afterwards.

rhys

Postby rhys » 10 Nov 2012, 18:22

So, how did people fare today?

timyone

Postby timyone » 10 Nov 2012, 18:37

I reckon every one had fun! There were juniors on podiums that I saw. In the pursuit, the dulwich hill a team got a silver beating a star studded randwick team who got bronze. The beer team, me, James, Nathan and Ben came about sixth out of ten with a 4:52, overtaking our competition after about 4 laps.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 10 Nov 2012, 20:10

A strong showing from DHBC today and as Tim says, the Men's Pursuit team got a solid silver. The race for Gold was hard and St George looked like finely tuned machines.

Tess, one of the juniors, got Silver in her President's Cup. A huge effort and good to see some juniors there. DHBC got a really nice compliment from the commentator who gave us big praise for having a strong junior's program and for having juniors out racing. He said all clubs should look to us for inspiration! Top work Michelle, Colin and James for getting all this together over a number of years. It's paying results.

Last but not least, Joanne Troutman got Silver in the Women's Open President's Cup.

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 10 Nov 2012, 21:17

The look on my face says it all - what do they feed these woman? - these girls are giants.

Anyway - it was a great night and awesome to see the first DHBC junior girl to ever enter a race.......come 2nd. Watching both boys Pursuit Teams ride well was also fantastic. I certainly don't envy them riding that distance and intensity twice in one night. Well done guys - I especially loved the A team overtaking Dave Stephens bunch.

I also think Eleri did a fantastic job of racing tonight. For some one that usually does 250km rides and does little of this short type racing, she kept with the bunch, of which included mostly elite NSWS riders with disc wheels and carbon bikes. I'm $85 richer for my placings - so a good night for me, and a great fun night for DHBC

timyone

Postby timyone » 11 Nov 2012, 08:18

Woo! Congrats jo! It was cool having you sitting with us too :)

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 11 Nov 2012, 10:04

It was a great night, and excellent riding by everyone there. Recovery beer and pizza at Marrickville Road Cafe was pretty good too.

Just a reminder, entries for the 500m/1km time trial, Kierin, Individual Pursuit, and Clarence St Cup close tonight.

patn

Postby patn » 12 Nov 2012, 10:37

nice work everyone! would be good to hear some more about how the races went.

just trying to decide who has the skinnier legs - the elite team pursuit team or the
junior girls podium? :)

wallman

Postby wallman » 12 Nov 2012, 13:59

I was flexing with everything I had too but the wobbly camera has cost me all my hard-won definition...I think we killed it in the tan stakes though.

patn

Postby patn » 18 Nov 2012, 17:20

lizanne and i rode in the standing 250m TT on friday night and the match sprint today. both were really fun events which got good turn outs. there were a number of strong ACT riders at both events and south australia sent their u19 men and womens teams to the sprint, which was great. i'll let lizanne give her report herself. she went especially well today in the sprint. i was a little dissapointed in both, in that i narrowly missed my two target times. but both were big pb's so cant be too dissapointed. i rode a 19.1 in the standing lap which put me third behind nathan hart and jamie green who were both super fast. was really hoping to get into the 18's, but i under geared myself and i guess it wasnt my night. oh well.

the sprint was really dissapointing cause i was sure i was going fast enough at training to get under 11, but i totally over geared myself (i think because i was afraid of under gearing like on friday) and just couldnt push it. i was just going nowhere and i knew it was much slower than i know i can go. pretty stupid really. ended up with 11.1. i beat a guy from ACT in the first round of the sprints which was fun, then got done by jamie green (again!) in the next round. i tried to take him long both times but he had heaps of gas and was too good. so yeah will let lizanne write up her races. one thing i will say is that she certainly had the ugliest bike at dunc gray :)

shrubb face

Postby shrubb face » 18 Nov 2012, 17:56

Nice work anyway Pat.

John and I had a little less success in the madison :(

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 18 Nov 2012, 20:55

Sydney Cup on Wheels Report

Following on from the Madison excitement last night was the Sydney Cup on Wheels. I was in B grade.

First up was the Qualifying scratch race, with the first 6 riders going through to the wheelrace, and the remainder having to fight it out in the repechage. I wanted in, and with no results for winning i wanted to find the easy way. So, my first thought was "Brownie will get through, i'm just going to follow him", and that's what i did, fought onto his wheel, stayed there and a bit of a sprint to finish 3rd. Job done.

Next race was the Accumulation race, i was positioned poorly at the start and just didn't have it, eventually settling to roll around the remaining laps. Getting on the rollers after the race, i felt a bit average, so it was time for some energy bar to hopefully pick me up.

3rd race was the Miss N Out. I felt a little better, and rather than fighting at the back, i went to the safest spot, right on the front. I was probably there for 4-5laps before Heap sped past, and then i had a wheel to sit on for a while. Without the safety of the front, i was pushed back to the danger zone, and had to fight a few laps to stay in the race by a few inches, eventually being eliminated in 4th place.

Finally the big Wheelrace, the Sydney Cup on Wheels. I was handicapped at 140m, so thought i might be in with a good chance, especially if i could get across the 25m to Matt. Luckily for me, i also had the experienced Macca at 140m, in front of me, so i went with the hold the wheel tactics, and followed Macca onto a group, and then around the group as the speed dropped, only being passed by 1 rider in the last lap to finish in 3rd place (not bad for the first wheelrace i've bothered to qualify for).

Matt had a successful night as well, getting 2 wins in Div 3 (not sure how he got himself in that division). Lizanne had a great night winning the Women's Sydney Cup on Wheels with some great tactics. Mike completed the DHBC lineup with his return to track race after not being on the track bike for a while. They can all give their accounts of the racing.

Here's the podium shots, courtesy of Mike (DHBC photographer for the night).

Lizanne

Postby Lizanne » 19 Nov 2012, 12:13

It was a great day out @ the velodrome,
The Jr's put on a good show. The determination to keep contact and stay with the main bunch (while riding up/first year age groups) was commenddable. congrats Taku and Broughton!
The Madison was also a really thrilling to watch. there was a large field in both the U17's and elites.
Then came the Scody cup on wheels, i was in Div 1.
i figured i has another few races before cycling NSW caught onto my foxing. but alas, i was place right where i belong. I had a good laugh with everyone, expecting to get whooped in my first div1 race on the track. so my plan of attack was stay at the front, keep out of trouble.

Scratch race
it said 6 laps in the program but they made us do 8! i was quick to the front, quick to the back, let a few people roll through, and then a couple road riders decided to get stuck on the front. sweet! sat in a box for a few more laps, then the bell went, the two girls that were boxing me in made a move, so i followed. Came 3rd! woot i was in the wheel race, no need for the repechage.

Accumulation Race
i hate this race

Miss'n'out
got out mid field. didn't hear i was out, contested a few more sprints, then got yelled at. oops

Then the wheel race!
i was off 60m with 3 other girls at 55, 50, and 45 all good strong road riders. so i was like sweet! do half a lap pull up, sit on, sprint. that was the plan. It was a good plan, but Brownie had another idea. Pre race he said do not get out of the saddle until i stop pushing. so that what i did. i sat down. riders ready, Brownie starts pushing, the gun goes off, Brownie is still pushing! before i knew it i was off, out of the saddle, the girls behind me were nowhere, urg... i had to go, fast, and keep going. it took me a lap to catch the front markers(@105, it was a big gap), another half to find a good wheel, took a rest for a lap and a half, and then did the rest deep in the hurt locker. photo finish, I won! woohoo.
Refreshing malted beverages post race were delicious.
Thanks Brownie for the push(i still owe you beers), i hurt so much after that race, and now i get a 'better' handicap for the Clarence street cup next week. woot!

rhys

Postby rhys » 23 Nov 2012, 18:46

Handicaps and divisions are posted for Saturday night's Clarence St Cup

http://www.nsw.cycling.bvit.com.au/?page=48473&format=

33 NGUYEN, John DHBC Dulwich Hill BC 120 2
41 FOWLER, James DHBC Dulwich Hill BC 135 2

58 WALLMAN, Matthew DHBC Dulwich Hill BC 180 3
62 EDWARDS, Rhys DHBC Dulwich Hill BC 190 3
68 CLEMENT, Michael DHBC Dulwich Hill BC 210 3

Ladies
82 WILMOT, Lizanne DHBC Dulwich Hill BC 40 A
97 TROUTMAN, Joanne DHBC Dulwich Hill BC 125 B
99 MORGAN-THOMAS, Eleri DHBC Dulwich Hill BC 150 B

Juniors U17
105 BOLTON, Thomas DHBC Dulwich Hill BC A 50
136 WALLACE, Alison DHBC Dulwich Hill BC B 115

Juniors U15
159 CALEY, Broughton DHBC Dulwich Hill BC 130 B

Juniors U13
176 HAYDON-SMITH, Rohan DHBC Dulwich Hill BC 70
182 WALLACE, Tess DHBC Dulwich Hill BC 60

Best of luck to all, and if you're racing I'll see you there.

Chris96

Postby Chris96 » 23 Nov 2012, 19:31

Congrats to Pat for the silver in the Kilo
http://www.nsw.cycling.org.au/default.asp?Page=48476

wallman

Postby wallman » 24 Nov 2012, 08:42

Good on you Patty!

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 02 Dec 2012, 10:37

Southern Highlands Track Open Report

As with Anzac day, Bowral was once again windy, but luckily not freezing, and the wind did ease as the racing progressed. In attendance from Dulwich Hill was Nathan, Ben, and Lizanne, plus of course Brownie was there too. Graded in A grade I was in for some fast racing, and after the christmas party the night before, I wasn't really sure what my legs would bring.

Warm up scratch race was first, and it progressed quite well, with riders just rolling through for 1/2 lap turns. In the sprint i missed the jump and rolled across the line for 4th place.

Next up was the Elimination race, and if you've got the legs to do it, the safest place to be is on the front, so that's what i did. From lap 2 i stayed on the front until there were 3 of us left, and i didn't quite have the kick left in my legs to respond to the acceleration, so it was 3rd place.

Wheelrace qualifiers were next. 5 laps of a 333m track, starting off 55m with quite a bit of distance to the front, and a push from Ben who had shaking legs after just riding his heat. My plan was to go for it myself and then sit on if it seemed a safe way to qualify. Catching the rider in front in 1/2 a lap, i had plenty of speed up, so decided to continue on, passing rider after rider until i was off the front with 1 lap to go. Easing up slightly, i rolled across the line in 2nd place, after being passed by a fast finisher.

The final was next, and with my body still recovering from the effort, i didn't think i would have the legs to last 5laps myself. So i caught the riders in front and sat on as we were catching the front markers at a fast enough rate. Unfortunately the front markers responded and i realised with 2 laps to go (a bit caught out at how little distance was left), that we weren't going to close the approximately 80m gap remaining, so i went for it with 1.5laps remaining only falling short by 20m and rolling across the line in 5th after being passed in the finish straight by a rider that had jumped on my wheel as i kicked the pace up. Slight miscalculation in distances on my part, and probably too much effort spent in qualifying.

Last race of the night was another scratch race, which they decided (after asking the riders) to shorten down from 20 laps to 15 (i would have preferred longer). Straight after the whistle there was an attack which kicked up the pace for 2laps until the rider pulled off, and after sitting on his wheel i decided it would be a good time to kick the pace up even more, this split 3 of us off the front, though we weren't pushing extremely hard, so were soon rejoined. The pace was on the whole time, and i tried a few moves off the front, but always had a rider on my wheel, so it came down to a sprint with only 4 riders still in contention..... I finished 4th....

Great afternoon/evening of racing, especially by Lizanne narrowly missed a clean sweep of all her races. I would have liked to get a few more podium places, but i'll have to get my sprint going a bit more for that (which i've known for quite a while).

There's results on the cycling nsw website, but there's a few errors/names missing (such as my 5th in the wheelrace final...)

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 02 Dec 2012, 10:42

Illawarra track open closes tonight, so get your entries in.

Lizanne

Postby Lizanne » 03 Dec 2012, 12:06

Ya, it was a great day!
following my recent form, i went into the carnival top ranked in Div 1, my handicap was scratch, and i had to re-think all my racing tactics. instead of my usual suck wheels and hope for the best, i was in a position to control the race.

Scratch race
i had something to prove in this one. Before the race i was asked what happened last weekend at the 500m TT and CSC. Apparently Crafty had been talking me up, and i was just a fizzle. plus, the girl (Kate) that beat me in both was the second ranked girl there, and i wanted to beat her. The race was 9 laps (3k) with A in the front straight, B in the back. Whistle blew, none of the girls in A took off, so i went for it. catching B in about 2/3ds of the lap. so i was able to sit back and relax for the next 6 laps. during that time my legs felt good. so i decided to go with 2 to go. Boom put the kick in, and gave myself a huge gap between me and the bunch, sprinted one lap hard, then conserved my energy for the next one. I almost went a bit too soon, 'cause Kate had a strong finish, about a wheel behind me.

Sprint derby (3 laps)
sat back let Kate set the pace, she slowly built the pace up, so when i went to put a kick in, in the last half a lap she was ready. couldn't get around in the last corner, it was a close finish but she got me.

Wheel race (4 laps)
Leaving from scratch, being pushed by my trusty handler Brownie!, as always, i had a great start. Once again i hopped onto Kate's wheel. we were set fairly far back from the next girl, and even further from the B graders. I was a tough race with the Vikings (Canberra club) girls working very well as a team. coming into the bell lap i was still on the back, but the whole bunch had come together. so i went up the banking in turn 2 and used it as a flying 200. this dropped me down into the front going into turn 3. managed to put another kick in, winning the wheel race. (getting a bottle of wine!)

final graded scratch race (12 laps)
B was in the back straight and A... well Kate had to leave, and the commissionaire let all the other girls ride B, so i was in the front straight, every one else was in the back. Whistle blew, i put one hard lap in, and do did every one else. the B group worked very well to have a good start. it took me a little over 2 laps to catch them this time. so i sat in the pack, recovering. thought i had 5 laps to go, looked at the lap counter 7 laps... the race was soooooo long.
2 laps to go i found my self on the front. so i swung up and sat on the front in the second row. with 1.5 laps to go an attack was made. i heard it, and jumped on the wheel. coming into the last corner, boom, put the power down and sprinted to the finish.

The weather was hot, the wind was strong, the velodrome perfect! it was a hard day of racing, and I really feel i have stepped it up in racing. i came out with a bit of cash to pay Brownie in beers, do a shout for the team, and give James some petrol money.

BTW race entry for the Illawara open is still open! so far i'm the only one entered, along with Brownie.
If i win... i'm buying beers again, or milkshakes if the Jr's come out. :D

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 03 Dec 2012, 12:26

Nice work Lizanne... You need someone to start filming your sprint finishes. It sounds like they are timed to perfection.

Lizanne

Postby Lizanne » 03 Dec 2012, 13:12

you could always enter in the Illawara open and watch all the action LIVE!

Return to “Track”