Spring Ride October 2013

Road cycling & upcoming rides
Beejay1188

Postby Beejay1188 » 26 Aug 2013, 17:37

Hi all.

Just thought I'd see if anyone from the club was interested in doing this ride....

http://springcycle.com.au/participating/rides/

Its the 100km challenge ride i'm attempting (yes short for some of you, but with the ride home it will be my longest ride)

I did the 50km ride last year and its a very scenic ride, taking in the bridge, cahill expressway, botanical gardens etc.

They usually only have the 15km & 50km ride, but this year they seem to have included this new one where you do the normal 50km to Homebush Bay, then do 50km on a criterium type track out there.

Its designed for club riders supposedly, as you need to finish the first 50km within a certain time limit (site says you only have to avg 25km/hr, so i'm assuming most DHBC riders can do that)

Anyway, at present i'm just gonna do it by myself, but if anybody else is interested, just put your name here and we can meet up on the day.

Cheers.

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » 26 Aug 2013, 17:57

I did the 50km last year and quite enjoyed it for the ride through the city, I was right at the front of the group though so I didn't get caught up in the nightmarish traffic behind. I'm not sure why I'd want to do 50 more km in the form of multiple laps of SOP, it's not like it's a race or anything and if I want a longer ride I'd just ride somewhere after...

Beejay1188

Postby Beejay1188 » 26 Aug 2013, 18:41

Yeah, not really sure what to expect out of the 50km out there. My idea was to concentrate on the first 50 and be registered for the second 50, maybe start it and assess from there. I've still got to ride back to Kingsgrove from there so I'm not worried about missing out on the kms out there either.

Dougie

Postby Dougie » 27 Aug 2013, 06:19

BJ, it's a nice day out. If you are interested in the kilometres then you may wish to consider riding to the start and then home. Marrickville Rd Cafe to North Sydney to Homebush then back to MRC is about 85km. That way you don't have to cover the same ground to often. That is the route i will be taking.
Cheers. Dougie

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 18 Sep 2013, 17:17

We've had an invite from Bicycle NSW GM to attend. Here it is in full:

I'm going and have been invited to ride with Jon Leighton who is the Pres of BNSW.

Dear Dulwich Hill Riders,

I am writing to invite you to join me and support Bicycle New South Wales’ Spring Cycle proudly supported by Transport for NSW, to be held on Sunday 20 October 2013.

Spring Cycle is turning 30! providing a great opportunity to celebrate the success of the event and the partnerships formed with key levels of government and non government aligned stakeholders. 2013 promises an event that is bigger, better, and more exciting and one that firmly makes the Spring Cycle, not only in NSW but across Australia and internationally the must do event.

This is your opportunity to support and “Create a Better Environment for Cycling”.

So register today, mark it in your diary, put it on the calendar Spring Cycle 2013 – Sunday 20 October

In its 30th year the Spring Cycle will deliver the much loved Classic and City Rides of 2012, but with a greater focus on rider enjoyment and showcasing the cycling and roads infrastructure of NSW.

New to 2013, Bicycle NSW will look to implement a new ride option the “Challenge Ride” that broadens the reach and allows for growth of this great event.

The finish at the Spring Cycle is also stepping up a gear with a key partnership formed with Cycling Australia that will bring the Bike & Lifestyle Show to the entertainment program that will wow thousands who come together in this celebration of cycling. Entry into the Bike & Lifestyle Show is FREE with your Spring Cycle entry!

To register or information about the Spring Cycle head to http://www.springcycle.com.au or contact Bicycle NSW on P: 02 9704 0800 E: info@springcycle.com.au

Karzie

Postby Karzie » 18 Sep 2013, 18:39

It's a good day, but if you don't get away early at the start it gets very chaotic what with all the seven year olds and viewing of the panoramas. I'd go if we went earlyish in a slow but disciplined group just to make a good and very red point.

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 18 Sep 2013, 18:42

It's a good day, but if you don't get away early at the start it gets very chaotic what with all the seven year olds and viewing of the panoramas. I'd go if we went earlyish in a slow but disciplined group just to make a good and very red point.
Yes, I've done it once and there are lots and lots of bottlenecks. Fine if you're out for a leisurely spin (and this is not suggesting I'd ever consider it as a training ride) but as Karzie said, definitely want to be out early.

Dougie

Postby Dougie » 18 Sep 2013, 21:29

A 15 kph pace line would be pretty damn funny

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 02 Oct 2013, 09:54

I'm doing it, and I'll have to put up with all of the inane comments.

Despite being given a 7am start, I'll be aiming to get there earlier and get away with an early group.

James

Beejay1188

Postby Beejay1188 » 02 Oct 2013, 14:21

OK...

So are you wearing your DHBC jersey?

I plan on taking off with the first group so not to get caught up with the majority.

Maybe we should start working out who is actually going and see if can work out a meeting place. Is anybody riding from Marrickville?

Steve.

Beejay1188

Postby Beejay1188 » 17 Oct 2013, 02:10

Is anybody leaving from Marrickville for this?

If not I'll just get to North Sydney and go from there.

Steve

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 18 Oct 2013, 15:09

I'll be leaving from Enmore, but you may not want to ride with me, I'll be slow.

I'm slated for a 7am start, but I plan on getting there before 6:30am, so leaving 5:30am ish.

Beejay1188

Postby Beejay1188 » 18 Oct 2013, 15:34

Ok..my start time is 6:30am, and i wanna be there by 6 am to leave with the first bunch.

If nobody is leaving from Marrickville cafe for a 6:30am start, then i'll just get to North Sydney by some means and see anybody who's doing it there.

I'll be wearing my DHBC so I can be spotted by a couple of friends. Maybe see you there :-)

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 18 Oct 2013, 16:16

I'll go from Marrickville. Haven't worked out what time I'm supposed to leave. Probably the same as you Beejay.

Shall we say provisionally 5:30? Will it take more than 30 mins to get to North Sydney?

Beejay1188

Postby Beejay1188 » 18 Oct 2013, 17:11

Hi eleri...not sure how long it will take. Quite frankly I dont even know the best route. Last year we caught train from Tempe to North Sydney. . Have you any ideas? ??

Beejay1188

Postby Beejay1188 » 18 Oct 2013, 17:19

Do you know if any other DHBC riders are leaving doing ride/leaving from Marrickville?

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 18 Oct 2013, 17:48

Not that I am aware of, and possibly not doing the 100. I will head straight down Victoria, Enmore, King Street, Broadway, George St then skip over to Kent at some point and over the bridge. Not much traffic at that time of the morning.

I'll have a look at Strava and see how long it took last time I did it.
The alternative is through Rozelle and over Anzac Bridge, Pyrmont Bridge and down past Barangaroo to the SHB. I reckon it's considerably slower at that time of day.

Karzie

Postby Karzie » 18 Oct 2013, 23:34

IF you take the train, better to go on the inner west line, as you have to change to the north shore line at central and it's on the same platform. You just have to get off and then get on the other train that's usually waiting.

Beejay1188

Postby Beejay1188 » 19 Oct 2013, 16:54

Hi Eleri.
Just so you know, ive decided to make other arrangements of getting there due to friends not able to get to Marrickville.
Maybe see you there.
Thanks.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 19 Oct 2013, 18:42

No worries. Good luck!

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 20 Oct 2013, 14:01

I did the 50km, wanted to ride home, but just didn't have the legs, I'll have to do some training for next year so that I can.

What did others think? It was a nice day and the route wasn't too bad. Pity they managed to find just about every short sharp hill in Sydney.

Beejay1188

Postby Beejay1188 » 20 Oct 2013, 15:42

well i was having a tremendous ride...went out with the first bunch and was still with the top 20 with around 7 km to go. Dont know what the average speed was, but it was faster than middies pace. Then it happened...was on a metal surface of a small bridge around homebush lake and went down...lots of grazes, mostly superficial. Just as I was getting myself together, I heard another go down in the same spot. Other than that, it was such a great ride. First time ive really tried to go with the first group like that. Lots of advantages as the bike cop leading the way was giving us all a heads up on the traffic conditions on every intersection...was riding next to a couple of aussie riders and the JML team...and that guy from cycling central was with us for the first part too. Was going to do the other 50km criterium bit but was a bit sore for that and still had to ride back to Kingsgrove. Saw Eleri just behind me at the finish line. Great weather, great day

Beejay1188

Postby Beejay1188 » 20 Oct 2013, 19:23

Just seen you interviewed on SBS Cycling Central Eleri...good stuff.

Anthony K

Postby Anthony K » 20 Oct 2013, 19:52

Well I had a very different Spring Cycle to Beejay.

Rode the 15k with my 16 yo daughter who I don't think has been astride her bike for at least 2 years. Then stopped at Le Chocoreve for a double helping of very excellent chocolate croissant on the way home.

We stopped for scenic snapshots. We chatted with the volley's and the traffic cops. We soaked up the a atmosphere of a Sydney event on a stunning spring morning.

Thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing, especially the fact that neither of us were taken out by any 8 year old's or their pursuing parents.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 20 Oct 2013, 20:42

I rode to the start from the 'ville thinking to myself "how come I get up earlier on the weekends than I do during the week"? Two chaps caught up with me on Victoria Road and figured we were all going to the Spring Cycle. Thought we might ride together but they turned off for some mystery route through Enmore that looked like they were heading for the underpass. I, however, had my route planned with my usual preference for the biggest, mainest road I can find and headed down King St, Broadway and George St. Never saw 'em again. :-) But did see a DHBC chap whose name I forgot (sorry) riding a big wheel unicycle down George Street. We exchanged greetings but I rudely sped off knowing I had a date with a coffee and sticky pastry at the VIP tent at the start.

Found the VIP tent, met a bunch of blokes and caught up with those already known and soon it was time to get to the special VIP start i.e. in front of everyone else but behind the motorcycle pace rider. And time to get hastily interviewed by Kate Bates. Now I think of it there were probably only 3 women in that lead bunch - me, Kate Bates and Gracie Elvin. Spot the odd one out.

Also in that start bunch were the Oz Tandem team Mick Curran and Matt Formston who recently got a gold in the World Cup. They were super fast and looked super hot.

Mostly I stayed in touch with the lead bunch which seemed to be averaging about 30kph behind the motor pace. But a few traffic lights caught us up. We went on roads and bike paths I have never traversed and I have no idea how we got to some of them. A pleasant, interesting ride that was well signposted and with great volly directing and support. At about 50km we got to SOP and then did laps of a circuit that was sort of cross shaped with 4 u-turns. I managed about 35km of this and then got bored. Chatted briefly to a DHBC member, Michael.

Then went off for a bit more schmoozing and headed up to the Bike and Lifestyle show to check out the Vintage Bikes displayed mostly by DHBC members and attracting a fair bit of interest. I also helped out on the Australian Cycling Party stall for a little while. Got my bike data-dotted for free while I was there. I guess that's a good thing. Also got to chat to DHBC member Paul for a little while.

Finally a ride home, with no clue where I was going other than heading generally east. Two chaps were going to ride with me as they figured with Dulwich Hill on my jersey I would know how to get back to the inner west. Ha ha. Anyway, found the railway line and mostly just followed that

All in all, a good day on the bike. Got a bunch of QOMs and top 10 places somehow.

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 21 Oct 2013, 04:47

Don't worry about leaving me behind at the lights Eleri, I had a mongrel of time remounting after talking to you on George St.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 21 Oct 2013, 09:24

Don't worry about leaving me behind at the lights Eleri, I had a mongrel of time remounting after talking to you on George St.
Ha! Could only be you!

Have you been keeping up with the Spring Cycle every year? That would be an impressive run! Did you do the extra 50km on the 10 laps crit circuit too? ;)

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 24 Oct 2013, 09:59

Does anyone know if there will be photographs available for purchase from the event? I saw a couple of official photographers on the course, but I can't find out any information on the spring cycle website or on general web searches.

Return to “Road”