My first crack at the Criterium at mount Stromlo

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
Jono

Postby Jono » 25 Dec 2009, 19:19

This will have some people laughing so hard they will probably fall off their chairs.
A couple of weeks ago I rode to Mt Stromlo to check out the criterium racing which is held there on Tuesdays by the ACT Vetrans cycling club. I got there with the help of some of the locals who showed the way with regards the bike path to the track.
I was talked in to riding one race with the G grade riders. Those who know me from Saturday Slowies, know that I hadn't done any Crit racing in Sydney, so I was going to be in for an interesting time.
I coughed up $3 and entered the race. I wasn't given a number. To be honest I don't know how they would have kept up with the number of riders in that grade. I had little to no idea of the rules or understanding of how criterium racing works. I gave it my best but came stone motherless last.
On Tuesday I had another go and this time had some idea of what I was doing after watching some of the other races before I ventured out. I came too late for G grade and wound up being talked into riding with E grade.
I knew I was going to struggle with the calibre of the riders in E grade but gave it a go anyway. The last words of the marshal at the start was to keep our line so I took that to heart as I began the ride.
We were given 30 minutes + 3 laps. Needless to say I was lapped more than a couple of times.
When the 3 laps came around I was determined to finish and I went all out on the final lap so I could say I did it. I went back to the Marshal and got signed off. One of the riders approached me and commended me on finishing. He asked if I would ride E grade again. I replied not for a long time but I would be with G grade for a bit. He told me that the start times are rotated and I missed G grade as they started off first.
What are the ACT Vets like? They are a friendly group to ride with. Nothing like DHBC but from what I have heard they are as close as I am going to get in Canberra. I miss everyone desperately and hope to see you all soon.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 25 Dec 2009, 19:30

Well done Jono and Merry Christmas

Return to “Conversation”