DHBC & Coast to Coast for Kids - support and training

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
geoff m

Postby geoff m » 13 Jan 2010, 22:33

Some of you may have met David and Scott at last Sunday Cruisers, our club's newest members.

Both, through difficult personal experiences, have established a major charity know as Coast to Coast for Kids, and will ride from Cooktown to Sydney later in the year to raise funds. I won't even try to give a rundown on the charity as its all here:

http://www.c2c4kids.com.au/

David and Scottt are starting to pull together some major sponsors including David's (and my) own employer, Westpac.

Whilst David and Scott would love our donations as well, what we can provide, which major sponsors cannot, is training in preparation for their ride. Therefore DHBC will support David and Scott by providing them complimenantary membership & insurance, fellowship and support, in preparation for the ride.

Both are fairly new to serious cycling, so when you catch up with them on training rides, please do all you can to help them build their expertise on the bike. As they also go out and purchase the right bikes for the trip, no doubt there will be many 'experts' telling them the pros and cons of all that bike glitter stuff.

Let's do all we can to support, nurture and prepare these guys for a major ride, for a great cause.

timyone

Postby timyone » 14 Jan 2010, 07:58

This sounds like a good idea, i reckon they should do one to perth next, and id like to come :D So David and scott if your reading this, please let me come on your next ride :) I think we should increase the km count to 200/150/200/150/200 km days, and do it unsupported :D

Good luck with the goal of 200 000 though!!

timyone

Postby timyone » 14 Jan 2010, 08:07

hey i went on and found some pics, pics always help a cause :D

This is seriously how we should be training :D

And here are the lads out on an amazingly niec scenic ride :)

Image[/quote]

kevinllewellyn

Postby kevinllewellyn » 19 Jan 2010, 13:49

A quetion on insurance. How can DHBC supply compimentary insurance? Is Cycling NSW involved? I would suggest they should work out their own insurance and not have DHBC involved in any claim.

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 24 Jan 2010, 08:39

A quetion on insurance. How can DHBC supply compimentary insurance? Is Cycling NSW involved? I would suggest they should work out their own insurance and not have DHBC involved in any claim.
Hi Kevin.

You are correct. They will be sorting out their own insurance for their event and it won't have anything to do with us and CNSW.

My reference is to have them as members of the club and riders under CNSW umbrella with the usual insurance. This will cover them in the leadup to their event and we as a club can provide valuable assistance in helping them train up. You never know we might even end up with race champions as a side product to their big ride.

:D

Return to “Conversation”