Road Frame v Touring Frame

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
Stuart

Postby Stuart » 27 Sep 2010, 13:54

I'm thinking about getting a new frame to build up a commuting / touring bike re-using many parts from my now redundant Merida road bike.

Assuming I'm getting a frame made (possibly a Habanero) would a standard road frame with added rack mount points be the OK or would it be better to get a purpose built touring frame, which I assume has different geometry. If I put a rack on a road frame, would my feet clear the panniers?

Also, would my "standard" frame size measurements obtained via a cycle fit from Steve Hogg be useful for a touring bike frame or is it all different?

Opinions, especially from those tourers in the club would be gratefully received.

christian

Postby christian » 27 Sep 2010, 14:05

The foot clearance issue is more of a problem with small frames, which you won't be riding. Touring specific frames do have longer chainstays to normal road frames. Generally on a touring bike you want something with more tyre clearance so you can run 32 or 35mm tyres, you get less flats, they ride better and can take the weight of a loaded bike better.

I would run either mini V brakes or cantilever brakes as you get a lot more stopping power. You can get road specific disc brakes as well that will work with road levers.

What wheels are on the Merida? You really want a minimum of 32 spokes.

The measurements you got from Steve will be mainly for you position relative to the bottom bracket and handle bars, so they are still relevant for a touring bike.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 27 Sep 2010, 20:18

Stuart, I toured Tassie on my bike with the small front wheel, it's got tight angles and I had a rack and panniers on that and had no foot clearance issues - not even remotely so even people with bigger feet than me (assuming they could ride my bike in the first place) wouldn't have had a problem.

Return to “Conversation”