Cycle Coach

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
Eleri

Postby Eleri » 09 Mar 2011, 20:54

Last weekend I did my Level 1 Cycle Coach theory classes. These build on the Cycle Skills accreditation I already have and take it one step further. It's basically club level coaching for road and track.

In order to get accredited for Level 1 I have to do a few practical things.

10 hours assisting a Level 1 or higher coach and 20 hours conducting coaching sessions. At the end of that I have to do a practical coaching session in front of an assessor. Plus a bunch of homework.

A couple of questions for you all

Does anyone know an accredited Cycle Coach who might be prepared to be my mentor? Ideally someone who is in our vicinity and definitely someone who is regarded as a good coach.

Also - I need some sort of guinea pigs to practice my nascent coaching skills on. I haven't decided quite what this looks like yet. However, I am sure I will be practising on the guinea pigs as much as they will benefit. I'm cheered by the general pronouncement that "any training plan is better than no training plan" and am hoping that is true :)

So - advice welcome on how best I can assist the club. I've got zero interest in pursuing any sort of professional coaching career in case anyone is wondering why I'm doing this. And not a huge amount of time either as I've got another year of uni to go plus a full-time job.

Lizanne

Postby Lizanne » 10 Mar 2011, 07:15

*jumps up and down with hand waving in the air*

Oh! Oh! over here!

*jumps some more*

I'll be a guinea pig!!!!!! pick me! pick me!

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 10 Mar 2011, 10:39

*jumps up and down with hand waving in the air*
Thanks for the enthusiasm. Umm - what about all the speed skating complication?

Or are you saying you are a CA accredited cycle coach and will be my mentor :)

Lizanne

Postby Lizanne » 10 Mar 2011, 11:33

i'm free to be coached on wed and sat, and i have free mornings (ish i can do about 1.5h before other training if i decide to wake up, tues-thurs... but monday and friday i can do 2.5!)

it might give me more dirrection than laps of centenial or detour through the beaches on my may to work.

still more than happy to be a guinea pig!

and sorry, no cycle coach experence, i can do swimming, rugby, and running (but all quals are canadain)

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 10 Mar 2011, 17:42

Lizanne - let's have a chat about what might be involved in cycle coaching. I'll catch you at the cafe maybe Sunday if you are there.

shrubb face

Postby shrubb face » 12 Mar 2011, 09:33

If you need another student to coach id be interested. Though given i tend to race every decipline available, i might be a difficult test subject.

timyone

Postby timyone » 12 Mar 2011, 10:16

Yeah there must be some sort of opportunity for this at the track, i dont know how much us being a world of our own would affect this, but come and have a talk to us about it id say.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 12 Mar 2011, 16:54

Don't know about the track - when I've been down there Alex seems to be doing a great job of organising everyone.

What I REALLY need is some ideas for who could be a coach mentor. Without one of those I can't get accredited. Ideas please - pm me or I'll be at the cafe tomorrow after the ride.

timyone

Postby timyone » 13 Mar 2011, 10:09

Hey im wondering if you should get in and do as m,uch racing as possible too, does race experience help with coaching?

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 13 Mar 2011, 13:04

Organise and captain an adventure ride

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 13 Mar 2011, 15:41

Hey im wondering if you should get in and do as m,uch racing as possible too, does race experience help with coaching?
Possibly does help Tim especially in knowing tactics etc. But I'm really interested in getting new people into cycling and the club rather than assuming I'm going to be some sort of high performance coach or anything. Lots of people want to ride and improve, but only some want to race. And there's plenty of others in the club who understand race tactics better than I ever will.

I've played and participated in a number of sports competitively over the years. The basics of having a structured training program, conditioning, skills development and nutrition are pretty much the same.

And you know what they say "those who can, do. Those who can't, teach." :)

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 13 Mar 2011, 15:45

Organise and captain an adventure ride
Yes. A good idea. Hopeless at route planning though so we might just end up riding on main roads. A few weeks ago I rode back from Dunc Grey on Canterbury Road, for instance, rather on the quieter route. :roll:

If you route plan it, I'll happily captain it. You don't even have to go.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 13 Mar 2011, 15:53

Happy to help with routes.

Have a look at the routes used in 2010 in this thread => http://www.dhbc.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1610 and we can review the ones you pick

timyone

Postby timyone » 13 Mar 2011, 16:09

Possibly does help Tim especially in knowing tactics etc. But I'm really interested in getting new people into cycling and the club rather than assuming I'm going to be some sort of high performance coach or anything. Lots of people want to ride and improve, but only some want to race. And there's plenty of others in the club who understand race tactics better than I ever will.

I've played and participated in a number of sports competitively over the years. The basics of having a structured training program, conditioning, skills development and nutrition are pretty much the same.

And you know what they say "those who can, do. Those who can't, teach." :)
cool sounds good :) theres always a lot of training experience to learn from other sports, a lot of people like Ian who have killed it in other sports have a heap of other knowledge that has helped them improve at light speed

Julio

Postby Julio » 14 Mar 2011, 11:27

"those who can, do. Those who can't, teach." :)

offensive language like that will get you banned thank you :) .....(takes teachers hat off)

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 14 Mar 2011, 16:30

Hey Eleri,

I believe Phil Kelly at the track (southern cross) would have the level of coaching qualification that you would need in order to observe for your training if you are still looking. He is at the track wednesday night and I'm sure would be happy to let you watch.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 14 Mar 2011, 16:58

offensive language like that will get you banned thank you :) .....(takes teachers hat off)
mea culpa to teachers. As a child of teachers, I will put myself in the corner now, chastened and repenting. :oops:

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 14 Mar 2011, 17:00

Hey Eleri,

I believe Phil Kelly at the track (southern cross) would have the level of coaching qualification that you would need in order to observe for your training if you are still looking. He is at the track wednesday night and I'm sure would be happy to let you watch.

Thanks Simon! I can't make it this Wednesday but will try the following one and catch up with him then.

Return to “Conversation”