DHBC Criteriums for Virgins

Road cycling & upcoming rides
Dougie

Postby Dougie » 20 Apr 2011, 08:56

Hi All

As last Sunday was my first Crit I thought i would give my views for the benefit of those who have thought about having a go but remain apprehensive.

As a 42 year old family man, with a large mortgage and a highly developed sense of self preservation, I have always thought the idea of racing cheek to jowl in a bunch sprint to the finish is a great way of discovering the limitations of your private health cover. With great trepidation I made the decision to come to round two of the Club Crit at Dunc Grey Velodrome.

The ride out was pleasant and riding with middies and fasties in the bunch made for a swift and well controlled group. The track at Dunc Grey was clean, well marked and wide enough to give me some confidence that if I went too hot into a corner I could get the bike upright before disappearing into the trees. The only thing at odds with the condition of the track was a metre or two width of unsealed bitumen at the apex of the final turn about a hundred metres from the finish. It created some cause for alarm cornering and lining up to sprint. Hopefully DGV will deal with this soon.

The riders gathered around the start/finish line. Lindsay conducted a bit of a briefing. He laid down a few rules, in particular that the first lap was neutral, the objective being everyone being able to get on. There was plenty of ribbing but I certainly got the impression the twenty or so riders were there to be inclusive and not exclusive and that the racing would be serious but safe.

It was self graded with A chasing B, C chasing D and E and F together. Not having a faintest idea of what I was doing I leapt into E/F with Ivan, Ali G and Eleri. Eleri took charge and got us organised. As far as I could tell we would ride as a train for 35 minutes plus one lap. We took turns at the front and rather than attack, made efforts learn to corner swiftly and safely. We got used to letting the higher graded riders move past without hindering them, nor dropping off our pace. I was most impressed by the higher graded riders calling their approach and giving us the opportunity to compete at our own level as opposed to simply being in their way and snarling on the way past.

Ivan flatted and dropped out to do the repairs. He rejoined us for a little exercise later on. Lindsay called “two to go”. So we figured two laps to go. I was riding second wheel at the time to Eleri. I decided that I would attack immediately after the unsealed patch just before the last lap. I passed Eleri and crossed the line pretty hot. Lindsay held up one finger, I thought indicating one lap to go. I went like as fast as my little legs would go. I had the feeling Eleri was behind me doing similar. I hit the final straight, crossed the line and imagined throwing my arms in the air victoriously, as I haven’t actually learned to do that yet without falling off!

It would appear though, that I did an extra lap as the “one finger” Lindsay held out on the previous lap was indicating a win. I am still lost where the extra lap went and perhaps I will never know. Maybe it disappeared into the great Velo Vortex in the sky.

Anyway the sprint was fun, I felt safe and I felt challenged. I think most importantly I will come and do the third round. I can strongly recommend this type of experience as a great way of getting into competition safely and confidently. Thanks to all participants and those whom made it happen.

Cheers Dougie or maybe DOUG “E”

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 20 Apr 2011, 20:31

It would appear though, that I did an extra lap as the “one finger” Lindsay held out on the previous lap was indicating a win
and that is why I thought Lindsay was being extraordinarily cruel and extending the race for a further 2 laps! after what I thought was the final. I think I said something very vulgar and uncomplimentary at the point :oops:

Good ride Dougie! You'll be in D grade before you know it. :wink:

Return to “Road”