ACCC statement about unsafe bikes

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
simon.sharwood

Postby simon.sharwood » 20 May 2011, 13:18

This just landed in my Inbox
I wonder if anyone told the ACCC about fixies ...

UNSAFE BICYCLES FOUND IN NATIONAL PRODUCT SAFETY SURVEY
Unsafe bicycles have been uncovered in a national product safety surveillance operation
involving the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission and state and territory
consumer affairs agencies.
Together the agencies randomly surveyed a total of 311 bicycles from 84 different retailers.
The survey included checking for compulsory safety features such as brakes, reflectors and
chain guards as well as the mandatory instructions for bikes sold unassembled.
Acting ACCC chairman Peter Kell said out of the bicycles surveyed, 41 breaches of the
mandatory standard were found.
"As a result, eight bicycles were recalled and a number of suppliers were required to rectify
breaches to ensure their bikes were compliant with the standard."
"The survey results indicate that bicycle suppliers and their employees must do more to
familiarise themselves with the mandatory safety standard, as unsafe bicycles can
contribute to serious injury or death.
"Bicycle suppliers who fail to comply with the mandatory standard are not only risking the
safety of consumers, but they also risk the expense of product recalls and legal action by
the ACCC, including hefty penalties," Mr Kell said.
The mandatory standard for bicycles covers compulsory safety features, labelling and
instructions and is important because it contributes to the safety of both cyclists and
pedestrians.
Under Australian law, bicycle suppliers – whether they are manufacturers, importers,
wholesalers, or retailers – can only sell bicycles in Australia if they comply with the
mandatory standard. The mandatory standard also applies to unassembled or partially
assembled bicycles.
The ACCC also urges consumers who are buying a bicycle to consider the following safety
tips.
· If you're buying an assembled bicycle, make sure that it has mandatory safety features
such as protective guards, reflectors, brakes and a warning device.
· If you've bought an unassembled bicycle (e.g. a bike in a box), even if it is partially
assembled, you should:
make sure that it comes with clear and adequate instructions
ensure that the parts include the abovementioned safety features
take it to a bicycle mechanic to ensure it's assembled according to the
manufacturer's instructions and in safe working order.
· If you're buying a children's bicycle, make sure that it has at least two braking systems
and one of them is a back pedal brake.
· Make sure the bike has an identification number that's legible and permanently marked.
· For information about using bikes safely contact your local road traffic authority.
For further information about the standards administered by the ACCC please visit
www.productsafety.gov.au, call the ACCC Infocentre on 1300 302 502 or follow us on
Twitter at @ProductSafetyAU. For further information about recalled bicycles visit
http://www.recalls.gov.au/content/index ... mId/952906
Media inquiries
Mr Brent Rebecca, Media Unit, (02) 6243 1317 or 0408 995 408
General inquiries
Infocentre 1300 302 502
NR 86/11
20 May 2011

timyone

Postby timyone » 20 May 2011, 15:35

lol, yeah the race bikes need reflectors etc. The fixies may have been the ones recalled, its that sort of thing that wouldnt pass!

Lizanne

Postby Lizanne » 20 May 2011, 15:42

i've seen bikes at bike shops selling fixies as indoor training bikes only with the disclaimer saying they are not road legal.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 20 May 2011, 16:09

What the frig is a chain guard

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 20 May 2011, 22:22

What the frig is a chain guard
I have one on the Townie - it stops my skirt getting grease on it :)

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 20 May 2011, 22:29

I have one on the Townie - it stops my skirt getting grease on it :)
Yes, but regulated as a safety device ???

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 21 May 2011, 12:11

Did a quick search... a chain guard is only needed if there is no front derailleur.

Toff

Postby Toff » 21 May 2011, 15:50

Also, racing bikes are exempt from the safety rules, so you don't have to worry about buying a track bike with brakesand a chainguard, or an $8,000 Cervelo with reflectors...

Return to “Conversation”