opinion of cyclists

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
fenn_paddler

Postby fenn_paddler » 11 Dec 2007, 15:51

Very tragically, a truck plowed into a bunch out training in newcastle today.

What has surpised me though, is the bitter animosity displayed in many of the reader comments in response to the story: http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/c ... 21,00.html

Yes I know it's the telegraph and all, but there really is a thread of deep dislike running through that feedback. 12 of 26 were anti-cyclist when I checked, so I guess it's good to know that almost half the drivers going past on a sunday morning at san souci probably harbour secret fantasies of making you a hood ornamant on their 4wd.

Cheers,
Alan

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 11 Dec 2007, 16:20

Wow... this is really sad news and some of the responses are really disturbing. "Will we EVER learn that bicycles SHOULD NOT be allowed on the roads?.." oh please!

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 11 Dec 2007, 16:25

The story is a tragedy, and with some of the comments, it surprises me that we don't end up as hood ornaments more often.

The comments I always like.
The roads are supposed to have bikes on them.
Yeah, the Romans weren't known for building roads were they? Which came first, the bicycle or the car?
Cyclists don't pay to use the road.
You mean that the $500 you collect from each motorists each year pays for all road maintenance? Amazing, I knew that the government was good at saving money, but wow, that is really great.

Actually, cyclists if anything subsidise motorists, we pay our taxes, but don't damage the road.
They should be on the cyclepaths.
What cycle paths?
They hold up traffic
Funny, whenever I race motorists home from work, why do I always (or nearly always) manage to win.

Last week, I rode to Waterfall before work. I was passed by a Porsche just north of Engadine (before the lights at Old Bush Road, which are the lights just before the mad mile). Then, I caught and passed him stuck in traffic before Bay Street on The Grand Parade. Who was holding up that traffic?
Cyclists never obey the road rules
Yes, not all cyclists obey all of the road rules all of the time. But let he without sin cast the first stone. Point me to a motorists that always obeys every road rule. The difference is that we sometimes do it blatantly (usually in running red lights). Yet if you watch a set of lights, you will often see motorists go through "just" as they have changed to red. How is that any different? To me it doesn't matter if the lights have been red for 1 second or 10 seconds, the point is that it was red.

Further, we always remember the person we saw break the law. I know whenever I cycle in, I will remember the guy who cut me off/passed too close etc, but I never remember the countless who never give me any grief. There are countless cyclists out there that ride as they should within the law, but strangely, no one ever mentions them.

end of rant.

James

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 11 Dec 2007, 21:03

Have they removed some of the comments? There seem to be responses to commments that ain't there.

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 11 Dec 2007, 22:04

Here is another article on the actual tragedy

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/pac ... 16870.html

All members and friends of the club are saddened by the death of fellow cyclist Dominic Mason and offer our deapest sympathy to his family.

It is a sobering reminder of the dangers we face and individually accept when we participate in this great sport.

Whilst completely unrelated to this tragedy, the response in the abovementioned forum also reminds us how we are on show with those we share the road with, and there is a big bunch of motorists we can positively influence to accept us and share the road with us, if we ourselves absolutely lead by example and follow the rules of the road. This is something we have signed up to as members of Cycling Australia.

Unfortunately there will be a small group of motorists, that however hard we try, their views won't change (at least not this decade).

Let's focus on what we can influence and change ourselves.

Ljones

Postby Ljones » 11 Dec 2007, 23:01

Man some of those comments sure do stir you up. Then there are others that give you hope, but none that quite say my thoughts exactly. Some come close, but not close enough.

timyone

Postby timyone » 14 Dec 2007, 17:17

i allready realised that heaps of people hated bikes :S

Return to “Conversation”