NSW points race & souther highlands open in pictures...

For all things Velodrome
Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 17 Dec 2007, 16:27

Saturday night was the annual NSW points race championships followed by the southern highlands open. This year the night had a theme which was to support the Ben Mimic foundation. Much of the prize money was given to this charity. Here’s how it went in photos….

The NSW points race was made up of a field of about 12-15 riders in which only about 6 finished. It was very quick and I must say a big learning experience

This was only the second points race I have ever ridden & I really learnt a lot from my experience. In a nut shell it is a 40km race made up of 160 laps of a 250m velodrome. This then is broken down into a sprint every 20 laps. Points are given for placing up to fourth in every sprint as well as 20 points given for lapping the field and 20 points taken away when a person is lapped.

I couldn’t help myself but put in a very early attack. This amounted to nothing as race favourite and eventual victor Glenn O’Shea was very quick to mark my move. However I soon learnt in an event like this each effort takes its toll and you have to be on your toes.

First Brownie and Liam Poole were caught off guard and were dropped off the back. Then I was caught unawares when another attack went. We chased for about five laps but I soon realised that at that speed 15 metres is not easy to pull back, particularly with field chasing a break off the front. So instead the lap was conceded.

However this was far from the end of the race. I reintegrated the bunch and was back, with some good recovery. I soon learnt that this race is all about exertion and recuperation as everybody in the race suffered if a break went, just as each sprint killed the pace of the race. This is an important thing to acknowledge because this race is not won by fast consistent paces like a pursuit but is won by attacks and points in the sprints.

In fact as the race went on I found myself being one of the stronger riders, pulling back a number of attack. The bad thing was that since I knew half the field this meant pulling back training partners who I would of liked seen win.

In the fourth last sprint & only 60 laps to go, I was struggling to find enough explosiveness in the sprints & found myself chasing. But sadly a counter attack was put in and my day was done. So with 52 laps to go I was resigned to being lapped again and was called out of the race. I was unoffically 8th, though officially I scored a dnf.

Should I have put more into the sprint and have not been dropped? I don’t know, but I do know I will be doing a lot more sprint training for next year. It was a 200% improvement on last year which I am very happy with. Brad said I wasted was too much energy chasing attacks which I needed not do. Arthur said he thought it was my best race ever, whilst Paul Craft said he thought I had an excellent race…

But hey the night was not yet over & there was still the carnival to race. I was smashed! The adrenalin had worn off & I was feeling it. Tim on the other hand was fresh. & He was about to reach his first ever wheel race final!!!!

But I couldn’t let him ride it alone & after seeing Brownie qualify. I though why not it must be possible to back up from the points race? & that was it I also managed to sneak in. Tim rode really well using every wheel possible. The scratches came flying through in the final lap but he just squeezed out that extra bit of energy & 6th pace was his, with one qualifying spot to spare!!!

The final was tough & I don’t think one should ask for too much in one night. I was pretty stoked to tell you the truth. Two DH riders in the final, two brothers. I think it was some kind of club milestone. I think you would have to go back 50yrs to find when that last happened, well maybe 20 anyway? But it was great to be in.

But the night was not yet finished. In the final scratches tim rode really well and I pick up a place! A 3rd and $20 for food! I couldn’t believe it, I was totally smashed by this stage and I just took the right wheel. Me, Brownie and Andrew Herrmann all rode the points race and still managed to destroy the B grade field at the end of the night with severely fatigued legs….

We had to get a photo to mark the occasion. I have a feeling that it won't be long till we consistently ride in the wheel race final together. In fact I would love to see a few more from the club also & if anyone was wondering about the colour difference of the old and new jersey, here it is...

Return to “Track”