What new Bike to get?

Road cycling & upcoming rides
kiwiames

Postby kiwiames » 23 Mar 2009, 20:27

Since my Azzuri Torino is a complete write off after having my taxi crash a couple weeks ago, I am now in the position of having to buy a new road bike on my return from WA.

Stanmore Cycles did a good check of my Torino and it would cost more to repair the bike than what I paid for it, and they've given me a quote to get my insurance for it. I'm hoping to upgrade as well.

My choices are another Azzuri, either go to the 105 or the Ultega. Only thing is I dont like the colours of either. My Torino was a great bike so I would have no problems again with Azzuri.

Another option is a Bianchi 'B4P' bike, its a 1885 Alu Veloce 10s Double, a red 2008 model.. Now this bike doesnt have the Shimano groupset - it has Campagnole Veloce. I didnt even know Shimano had a rival, so Im asking on this forum for advice on this groupset and/or bike.

Any info would be great, I really want to purchase my new bike from Stanmore Cycles as well.

BTW - WA is fab!

Cheers,
Amy.

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 23 Mar 2009, 20:47

Hope the bike buying is enjoyable. My philosophy with buying bikes is to be open minded. I tried about 7 bikes before getting the trek maddone.

If your at Stanmore Cycles you could always try a ...
http://www.pegoretticicli.com/
... and I hope bob remembers that the Torino had been upgraded with full campy record and wheels when he did the valuation.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 23 Mar 2009, 20:48

Campagnolo is the Rolls of bike components (so some would say) and is Italian while Shimano did a good job to flood the market with their wares as for many Japanese products. Veloce is comparable to 105 or higher on the Shimano side and is a very durable groupset that's good enough for racing. The big difference with the Campy system is in the hand shifter. As you've probably noticed, it works with a button and a paddle. The thing many Campy lovers likes about the Campy shift is in the snap. A very responsive feel. You'll need to try it and see how you like it.

In the club, I know that Chris and myself are on Campys and you are welcome to check it out. Chris is a guru on this subject.

Bianchi is a very old and well respected bike maker from Italy and its 1885 is a lightweight Alu racing frame that you can't go wrong on. Although it's not CF, it can be considered to be one of the top end Alu frames around. Bianchi bikes are also very well known for their ride comfort.
http://www.bianchiusa.com/09-bicycles/0 ... frame.html

As to alternatives, there is obviously a whole world of choices and it'll come back down to your budget.

The other obvious spec question is the wheel. Do you know what came with that 1885?

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 23 Mar 2009, 20:51

... and I hope bob remembers that the Torino had been upgraded with full campy record and wheels when he did the valuation.
Excuse me, Super Record groupset was on that unfortunate Torino! :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 24 Mar 2009, 07:23

There is a third contender in the Road Group set now as well, SRAM.

I am on Campy, and I prefer it over Shimano. I prefer the smaller hoods off the brake/shifters. I have also heard good things about the shape of the 11-speed shifters, but I am not sure if Veloce (pronounced Ve-Loch-Ae) is 11 speed though.

The other advantage of Campy, is that all of the parts are serviceable. I am about to do the 30,000km overhaul on my right lever. Something which isn't possible on Shimano.

I am not a zealot when it comes to one brand over another, but if other group sets are in your price range I would recommend having a look at them.

James

wallman

Postby wallman » 24 Mar 2009, 07:47

Amy,

I'm on Campagnolo as well and have been perfectly happy with my groupset. The one note of caution I'd make is that Campy components are, in some cases, significantly more expensive than the equivalent Shimano part. I would have said 'in all cases' but I read the other day that the big chainring for the new Dura-Ace groupset costs almost $US 500! I'm not sure where SRAM sits.

Veloce is not 11-speed at the moment, both it and Centaur are still 10. I wouldn't worry overly much about that.

I'm also on a Bianchi and love it although it's very different model to yours. Again, I don't really have anything to compare it to though so take my advice with a grain of salt...

Matt

christian

Postby christian » 24 Mar 2009, 08:09

I recently built a bike with SRAM force, which is their middle groupset. I think its meant to be equivalent to Dura Ace. I'm happy with the rear shifting but can't seem to get the front quite right. Its also a bit hard to find built bikes with the SRAM groupsets on them. As already mentioned, some campy stuff is a bit pricey, just look at the cassette prices. SRAM uses the same cassette spacing as Shimano. If you go Shimano,

I'd say go Ultegra over 105, from memory there is a fair weight difference.

A lot of this comes down to personal preference.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 24 Mar 2009, 08:38

The trick with Campy parts replacement is through mail order, far cheaper. Otherwise, Campy parts are always durable and dependable.

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 24 Mar 2009, 10:22

Geez, when some one posts up a question about bikes there is no shortage of bike geeks ready with helpful answers.

What wheels are on the bike you are getting Amy? Go the Ultegra if you can rather than the 105. As Christian said there is a bit of wieght difference and Ultegra is the next one up.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 24 Mar 2009, 10:42

Here's a price/weight comparison of the various groupsets based on RRP from 2 years ago. Obviously it's not current with Campy and Shimano's updates and Campy having a Super Record groupset at the top. But the general differential is still roughly there. Veloce although not there in the mix, but you can imagine how it's competitive weight wise with Ultegra

Subject to the wheelset, you may also ask Bob if it's possible to upgrade the groupset to Centaur. That would make a very very nice setup for the 1885.

Toff

Postby Toff » 24 Mar 2009, 15:04

Can I suggest Kiwiames provide an indication of what she wants to spend before we all start recommending these expensive bikes?

Don't get me wrong... I for one love those Pegoretti frames - handbuilt by Dario Pegoretti in Italy, with the option of choosing a completely custom paint job on every bike... but they are not cheap, and neither is Campagnolo.

My personal opinion is that the Bianchi looks much nicer than the Azzuri, but I haven't ridden either... My only problem with these 2 bikes is that I don't like integrated headsets because you can ruin the frame if you ruin the headset. Having said that though, both are aluminium frames and have an effective working life of ~8 years, so the headset will probably last at least that long.

Campagnolo Veloce is renowned for lasting just about forever, and I've started using Veloce cassettes and chains with my higher end components. They are only marginally heavier and made of the same steel. In my opinion Veloce is better value that 105, and will probably last twice as long. Problem is that it will probably outlast any aluminium frame!

Bob at Stanmore used to be the club secretary of DHBC, and left because of politics long before any of us joined up. He probably should get a bit more support from us...

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 24 Mar 2009, 15:20

Bob at Stanmore used to be the club secretary of DHBC, and left because of politics long before any of us joined up. He probably should get a bit more support from us...
That's an interesting tidbit. But what politics? I hope there'll never be adverse politics in our club.

Toff

Postby Toff » 24 Mar 2009, 17:36

Ancient history Weiyun. Nothing to do with anyone still in the club, or anything the club does currently. I think it was more a personality clash from 20 years ago...

Frank.S87

Postby Frank.S87 » 24 Mar 2009, 20:24

i dont know much about bikes, nor did i ride a bike besides my current bike which is 105, i was shocked when the bike mechanic told me i needed to replace my chain @ 3000kms 4 months after i got the bike.

replaced the chain took it to waterfall on the way back geoff m noticed my chains jumping and had a look and said i needed to change the rear casstte + crankset. it was there that i felt abit ripped off after paying 2900 for it
however im still riding it with the current gear all 105s except for the chain.

chain still jumps from time to time but i can live with that

maybe because iam a newb and my riding style was crap which caused all these gear to wear out fast. now i just dont change much gears and try to minimize the wear on the bike.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 24 Mar 2009, 20:32

Frank,

If your cassette has been worn and is still causing the chain to jump, then it's ruining your new chain, which I understand is an expensive SRAM Red model. If you don't change the cassette immediately, your expensive new chain will be toast in no time, or maybe it's already too late.

I suggest that you get the LBS to check the chain length right now. If has stretched, then let this be a lesson for you. If it hasn't, then quickly change the cassette.

You don't need the most expensive model, you just need to keep an eye on them and replace when needed.

micklan

Postby micklan » 24 Mar 2009, 20:35

My 2 cents is...
I've Campagnolo - Centaur. Very happy with the precision of the changing - and its seems a very forgiving groupset, except as mentioned u bust say a break lever and yes they do cost. (edit thanks Weiyun) Correction Centaur is one level above Veloce....
Last edited by micklan on 24 Mar 2009, 20:50, edited 2 times in total.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 24 Mar 2009, 20:47

Centaur is actually one level above Veloce and starts to pick up some of the higher end features. Irrespective, Veloce is still a very solid group to have.

Toff

Postby Toff » 25 Mar 2009, 08:32

Get the cheapest cassette and chain you can find that works. These parts wear out, so why pay big dollars for something that you'll need to replace in 6 months? In my experience, cheaper cassettes and chains aren't concerned with weight, like the expensive parts, and as a result, they last longer too because there is more steel to wear off before they stop functioning properly.

Save the big money for a good fitting frame, nice shifters, and parts thot don't wear (stem, seatpost, bars, etc.)

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 25 Mar 2009, 08:46

Get the cheapest cassette and chain you can find that works. These parts wear out, so why pay big dollars for something that you'll need to replace in 6 months? In my experience, cheaper cassettes and chains aren't concerned with weight, like the expensive parts, and as a result, they last longer too because there is more steel to wear off before they stop functioning properly.

Save the big money for a good fitting frame, nice shifters, and parts thot don't wear (stem, seatpost, bars, etc.)
There are differences though. Lower end cogs are typically stamped while more expensive ones are machined to finer tolerance. Further, the use of metal carriers on pairs of larger cogs can improve the stiffness of the setup.

There's no difference in Campy chains across the range apart from weight. But I understand it's not quite the same for other brands. Cheaper chains often don't last the distance of an upper end model.

Toff

Postby Toff » 25 Mar 2009, 09:26

There are differences though. Lower end cogs are typically stamped while more expensive ones are machined to finer tolerance. Further, the use of metal carriers on pairs of larger cogs can improve the stiffness of the setup.

There's no difference in Campy chains across the range apart from weight. But I understand it's not quite the same for other brands. Cheaper chains often don't last the distance of an upper end model.
Yes Weiyun, there are differences, but for a limited budget, buying an expensive cassette and/or chain doesn't make sense when you could be using that money to buy a frame that could be stiffer, cranks that could be stiffer, or bars that could be stiffer.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 25 Mar 2009, 10:06

Yes Weiyun, there are differences, but for a limited budget, buying an expensive cassette and/or chain doesn't make sense when you could be using that money to buy a frame that could be stiffer, cranks that could be stiffer, or bars that could be stiffer.
No disagreement there. It's always easy to upgrade a cassette/chain when budget permits.

Return to “Road”