Newest Members of Irish National Squad

For all things Velodrome
Karzie

Postby Karzie » 10 Nov 2009, 18:24

Here are the newest additions to the Irish Track Team. The club now has three international reps (including Thomas) or am I miscounting?

http://s741.photobucket.com/albums/xx52 ... %20Lopers/

timyone

Postby timyone » 11 Nov 2009, 21:27

tom isnt our club, though we might be able to get him to join as an honorary :D
we have a previous gold medalist lional cox though :D

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 15 Nov 2009, 14:06

Simon and Tim Llewellyn are the first riders in perhaps decades to represent Dulwich Hill at the Elite International Level, at the UCI World Cup in Melbourne on 19th to 21st November. The Llewellyn's, recently naturalised as Irish through their mother's side, are Ireland's Australian based cycling team, as well as regular DHBC members. The Irish connection is strong in DHBC with Club President Geoff Martin, taking Irish citizenship in 2005. "Not only do the Llewelleyn boys ride their butts off for DHBC with fantastic results this year, both in track and on the road, but they will now represent a nation, against the best in the world, and take our club to a level we haven't been for a long time in elite competition - the international field. As a fellow Irishman, fellow cyclist, and fellow DHBC member, I'm proud of them, and wish them and Ireland all the best".

Tim & Simon + club president Geoff Martin, at Tempe Velodrome

Click the thumbs for larger images (I'm trying to save our bandwidth!)

Last edited by Stuart on 17 Nov 2009, 13:46, edited 1 time in total.

timyone

Postby timyone » 15 Nov 2009, 14:48

wow what a write up!
thanx :D

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 16 Nov 2009, 09:49

wow what a write up! thanx :D
I can't claim it as my own - take a bow Geoff Martin.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 16 Nov 2009, 10:21

Simon and Tim Llewellyn are the first riders in perhaps decades to represent Dulwich Hill at the International Level, at the UCI World Cup in Melbourne on 19th to 21st November.
I don't think that's quite correct. Quite a number of our clubbies have recently represented Australia/DHBC at the World Masters Games and UCI World Masters meets, and I understand that Shaun Colley even won a bronze medal in his event.

orphic

Postby orphic » 16 Nov 2009, 11:49

We should have some kind of race results page on the website. Stuff like Shaun's acheivement, Tim's in Cootamundra and Amy's in the Sydney Cup on Wheels. I'm sure there are plenty of others.

If anything it's a good way to document DHBC successes.

Sorry, a bit OTT I know.

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 16 Nov 2009, 12:17

I don't think that's quite correct. Quite a number of our clubbies have recently represented Australia/DHBC at the World Masters Games and UCI World Masters meets, and I understand that Shaun Colley even won a bronze medal in his event.
Yes, I was thinking about this. Des Kidd and some of our guys have done very well internationally for some time, even taking places.

It would be more accurate to describe it as first 'elite level' international representation for some time - but maybe that's not an accurate statement either.

timyone

Postby timyone » 16 Nov 2009, 12:47

First in the elite class, which isn't saying elite as in too good, just as in that's what it says on the kicence.

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 16 Nov 2009, 17:06

Yes, I was thinking about this. Des Kidd and some of our guys have done very well internationally for some time, even taking places.

It would be more accurate to describe it as first 'elite level' international representation for some time - but maybe that's not an accurate statement either.
I think the only real difference is that elite events require national selection & support, whereas masters events can be entered into by paying your money, unless you wish to wear the national jesrsey which can only be worn at such events by those who qualify to do so...

The Irish federation has also supplied us with a manager & mechanic for the event & a few other perks which are available to us....

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 16 Nov 2009, 17:22

I think the only real difference is that elite events require national selection & support, whereas masters events can be entered into by paying your money, unless you wish to wear the national jesrsey which can only be worn at such events by those who qualify to do so...

The Irish federation has also supplied us with a manager & mechanic for the event & a few other perks which are available to us....
So how did the selection process work here?

Good luck with the racing!

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 16 Nov 2009, 21:18

Simon, would one of those perks be blackish in colour with a nice creamy white froth on the top?

timyone

Postby timyone » 16 Nov 2009, 21:29

oy get over the details, stop hijacking this thread with crap arguments about the details of a statement Geoff made. We all get the idea. If you want to do some thing, start some threads pointing out the acheivments you want to have more public instead of stressing about all the little details etc. Check out how well Amy did in the Sydney cup on wheels, follow my lead with that, posting up the stuff you want made known.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 16 Nov 2009, 22:08

Tim, reading thru the thread, clarification was sought on Geoff's statement, which Geoff provided. I believe that all of the achievements this year have been posted, no one is trying to re-post those achievements here.

There was no request for an entry qualification comparison discussion, but as Simon brought it up, perhaps Simon should complete that discussion point.

Now go out there and put the world of fire, bring back some [green] gold boys !!!!!

quigs

Postby quigs » 17 Nov 2009, 03:59

Well I'll be damned. Here I am in Ireland, reading an Irish Cycling website about Irelands 2 newest cycling stars and looking at their photo when suddenly, wait a minute that guy looks familiar in the Ireland Rugby shirt... Geoff Martin.... honorary Irish and Wexford man and my tour guide when I rode with your club whilst on holiday in November 07. Sure enough, I find that our 2 newest internationals are Dulwich hill members !

Good luck to Simon and Tim in Melbourne (and hello again to Geoff, Weiyun and Toff!)

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 17 Nov 2009, 05:07

oy get over the details, stop hijacking this thread with crap arguments about the details of a statement Geoff made. We all get the idea. If you want to do some thing, start some threads pointing out the acheivments you want to have more public instead of stressing about all the little details etc...
Why are you getting so uptight? It's but a clarification given it came out of our club president's mouth with official weight to those statements. It's not a "crap" argument.

Everyone's happy for you guys to be in the World Cup and wish you guys best of luck but it's also a clear point of curiosity when Simon brought up the selection issue. Is there anything that can't be said? An interesting story is made up of little factual details, otherwise it's tabloid journalism.

timyone

Postby timyone » 17 Nov 2009, 07:39

mate im all tabloid :D

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 17 Nov 2009, 07:54

So how did the selection process work here?

Good luck with the racing!
I won't go into the details but it was actually quite a long process. It took over a month of communicating with the Irish coach to make it happen, I had to convince him that we were worthy of national selection.

They wouldn't just let anyone represent Ireland, the Irish federation had to be convinced that we would be good representatives. It is costing them a fair bit of money and they have a reputation to uphold, all the world cycling media will be at this event. That's one other significant difference from the masters competition.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 17 Nov 2009, 08:06

I won't go into the details but it was actually quite a long process. It took over a month of communicating with the Irisih coach to make it happen, I had to convince him that we were worthy of national selection.

They wouldn't just let anyone represent Ireland, the Irish federation had to be convinced that we would be good representatives. It is costing them a fair bit of money and they have a reputation to uphold, all the world cycling media will be at this event. That's one other significant difference from the masters competition.
That's fantastic they are backing you guys. I note that there's a team manager as reported on an Irish cycling site. Did he come out of Ireland or also a local?

Keep us posted on your racing progress or should we hear it on CyclingNews.com? ;)

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 17 Nov 2009, 08:10

Great negotiation Simon, its a fantastic opportunity.

Go the Green (uniform) and Gold (medal) !!!!!!!!

timyone

Postby timyone » 17 Nov 2009, 08:29

We had a bit of luck on my side of it all, on the night the selector turned up to raw I was having a blinder in A grade, and me and simon placed first in a race that I lead simon out for the win in.

orphic

Postby orphic » 17 Nov 2009, 09:43

Well I'll be damned. Here I am in Ireland, reading an Irish Cycling website about Irelands 2 newest cycling stars and looking at their photo when suddenly, wait a minute that guy looks familiar in the Ireland Rugby shirt... Geoff Martin.... honorary Irish and Wexford man and my tour guide when I rode with your club whilst on holiday in November 07. Sure enough, I find that our 2 newest internationals are Dulwich hill members !

Good luck to Simon and Tim in Melbourne (and hello again to Geoff, Weiyun and Toff!)
That's too cool. What website are the photos on?

Bit of googling found this http://www.cyclingireland.ie/html/site/ ... sp?id=1539

(unless the photo is on there but it's being blocked for me)

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 17 Nov 2009, 11:59

Heya Quigs (David...from memory). Great to hear from you. I was only doing the Waterfall ride the other day with a recent recruit (Jon from the UK - now resident) riding through the Sydney to Wollongong Ride crowd, to Waterfall, and then back. I had vivid memories of your ride two years or so earlier through the same Sydney to Wollongong crowd. You got lost at our meeting point (you rode from the City to County Bondi rather than Stanmore), we got wet on the way slipping through thousands of people, you got a flat with an interesting deep rim wheel(Toff very kindly lentyou one of his prized collections), we couldn't change the tyre as our tube valves were too short, and Toff got lost for 2 hours, trying to find us at Taren Point Road. Then I got in trouble when I got home and was late for a lunch engagement. But it was fun and memorable. Would do it again!

Did you see this on the Slaney Cycling Club Forum site I posted it on?

http://www.slaneycyclingclub.com/?page_id=23

imaxwell

Postby imaxwell » 17 Nov 2009, 23:19

Good luck representing the motherland lads.

imaxwell

Postby imaxwell » 17 Nov 2009, 23:26

Here are the word of the National Anthem, just in case!

Irish version

Amhrán na bhFiann English version
The Soldier's Song
Sinne Fianna Fáil,[fn 1]
atá faoi[fn 2] gheall ag Éirinn,
Buíon dár slua
thar toinn do ráinig chughainn,
Faoi mhóid bheith saor
Seantír ár sinsear feasta,
Ní fhágfar faoin tíorán ná faoin tráill.
Anocht a théam sa bhearna baoil,
Le gean ar Ghaeil, chun báis nó saoil,[fn 3]
Le gunna scréach faoi lámhach na bpiléar,
Seo libh canaig amhrán na bhFiann

Soldiers are we,
whose lives are pledged to Ireland,
Some have come
from a land beyond the wave,
Sworn to be free,
no more our ancient sireland,
Shall shelter the despot or the slave.
Tonight we man the "bearna baoil",[fn 4]
In Erin’s cause, come woe or weal,
’Mid cannon’s roar and rifles’ peal,
We’ll chant a soldier’s song

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 17 Nov 2009, 23:26

Thanks Ian,

Hope Adelaide is treating you well. Lucky guy.... Tour Down Under coming your way again very soon.

I found the article that Quigs must have seen.

http://www.trackcycling.ie/index.php?op ... e&Itemid=1

Quigs also put in a good rap for the club and wishes Simon and Tim the very best. Already, some interesting forum discussions have arisen about the team.

http://my.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthrea ... 2055739687

imaxwell

Postby imaxwell » 23 Nov 2009, 22:58

simon.sharwood

Postby simon.sharwood » 26 Nov 2009, 09:21

Team Ireland has made the Cooks River Valley Times
http://www.torchpublishing.com.au/read/ ... ge_015.jpg

timyone

Postby timyone » 26 Nov 2009, 09:23

i found that :D
Love your work simon :D

geoff m