websites update & profiles page...

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 02 Aug 2007, 21:39

G'day guys I've upgraded the web page some more. The pennies pictures are up again with simultaneous pictures in the gallery & I've changed the main picture on the track page to show the Dunc crew which Mike took. But i'm thinking of doing a profiles page, i've been toying with the idea since the page started. The idea is to show people that any body can ride the track & all are welcome, almost as a sell it page. So i was thinking kind of;

Photo:
Name ( first or full, whatever):
How you came to ride the track:
Why you keep coming back:
What other kinds of bike riding you undertake....

What does everybody think? is it a stupid idea? Does it have some merit? I don't know really? but it could add a more personal touch to the page.

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 02 Aug 2007, 22:31

I think its a good idea!

Simon, do you have the old book on the history of DHBC? I could type a few parts of it and stick it on the webpage.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 02 Aug 2007, 22:39

Yes and add some sort of free form area where we can tell something about ourselves.

Should it be at the track level or at the club level ?

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 02 Aug 2007, 23:06

I thought about it the other day, I haven't got my hands on the book yet. i'm not at the track tomorrow night either because i'm working but i'll push abit harder & get the guys contact details to get it if you guys are interested in helping get it up on the web page. I was just going to scan it but i hear it is rather large, 200 pages possibly. If we photo copied it & scanned abit of it each then that wouldn't be so many pages....

& with the profiles I'm open to it being club wide or track specific. I was going to make it track specific because I mainly do the track page & I'm always thinking about what else i can add to it. Munksy does the main page & new riders, i also do the pennies & T-bone was suppossed to do the road page, though i think we're going to strip him of that title soon as it has got no where in the last six months. So if anybody has a passion for road riding & time to set up a web page. Basically you'd just have to get around & take some photos of heffron, some opens & club rides & add info from there but you'll have to discuss it with T-bone & Linds....

Huw

Postby Huw » 03 Aug 2007, 11:47

Simon, sounds like a good idea and I'm happy to contribute.

I don't have too many photos - some of training at Tempe which have appeared on this page. We could purchase some from actionsnaps possibly?

How you came to ride the track: After joining DHBC, I was told about our track training nights, run by Brad Cox and his ex-Olympian father, Lionel. I was offered the use of a club bike to train on. I figured this was an opportunity that I couldn't pass up, so I went along to the track to give it a go.
Why you keep coming back: Track is different to other types of riding I've done, and since I only started at the beginning of the year, I continue noticing improvements in my track ridinig. More and more I enjoy the flat-out riding that track demands, and have noticed definite improvement and greater confidence in my sprinting ability in other riding. Riding track competitions also opens up a world of racing full of tactics and strategies, and friendships with others who love riding bikes.
What other kinds of bike do you do? Lots! I began riding more seriously to commute to uni, and commuting continues to make up most of my weekly riding distance. One fateful weekend last year, a friend at work got me back into mountain-biking. I loved it in the past and realised that I still love it! So we continue to ride off-road when we get the chance, and have done a number of endurance-type challenges as a team. With my girlfriend, who rides on the weekends with different bike user groups around Sydney, I've been cycle-touring in Cambodia and, just this year, Europe (it was fantastic!). Finally, my week wouldn't be complete without catching up with friends in the club on our Sunday rides, or occasionally at races on Saturday afternoons.
Other stuff: I kept an online journal for the tour of Europe, and you can visit it at http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/EuroSummer07.

lindsay

Postby lindsay » 03 Aug 2007, 12:24

Simon, that's excellent work you've done... good on ya. I think the idea for the profiles is great, I'll do mine.

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 03 Aug 2007, 12:25

cool... I've just got to work out where to link it from & how to make it look good....

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 03 Aug 2007, 12:40

Simon, that's excellent work you've done... good on ya. I think the idea for the profiles is great, I'll do mine.
Hey Lindsay, your got to include pics of every bike you own, particually the delivery bike :D

lindsay

Postby lindsay » 03 Aug 2007, 12:43

I just did some counting of everybody who goes to Tempe regular/not regular from our club this year (like I've included James for instance) & the grand total is 20 riders (I've also included Des)...

Jim Bundy gave me a lovely frame & wheels for Lindsay this morning (Theo's younger brother).

Want a laugh?? Some guy wanted to save money to post a vintage Cennelli road from for the States to Australia, so they chopped it up & stuck it in a box about the size of a shoe box... Jim was replacing the main triangle tubes to put the bike together again. Makes me wonder where the Vintage bit stopped & the regular bit started.

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 03 Aug 2007, 12:45

Alright, my very sketchy draft is up.
http://dhbc.org.au/index.php?pr=track18

I think the photo either needs resized or a better photo. & we definitely need nick names... I'll put an intermediate page in once we have a few more profiles. We could just take a camera down to tempe for better photos. & i'll gloss later. If you guys want to extend it too the whole club we could run it off the side menu, which would be an easy way of fitting it in.

But i've got to go too work, so i'll probably do it tomorrow night if people want to post details....

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 03 Aug 2007, 14:23

Its a bit unstructured, but heres one done previously => http://bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2162 :roll:

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 03 Aug 2007, 14:35

Here's another one => http://www.lesmills.com/global/en/membe ... bytes.aspx

BTW, my nickname is Action Man

Huw

Postby Huw » 03 Aug 2007, 15:52

Simon, I was wondering whether you can pimp my profile with some SPARKLY PINK TEXT.

I was thinking action photos, but I have another good non-action photo which I scored last week with Keith Oliver. I quite like it.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 03 Aug 2007, 16:05

Huw, I found this photo of you before you got your hair straightened

Huw

Postby Huw » 03 Aug 2007, 16:09

Mike, you just earned yourself a GOLD STAR. Well done!

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 03 Aug 2007, 21:49

I keep forgetting to get something else up in the road section. My basic plan is to keep it similar in some ways to the track page in order to keep the website consistent. So a training section, a racing section, and a gallery to start with.

Training section will probably be split into Saturday Slowies, Sunday waterfall (1st sunday RNP as well), and a list of training routes with maps. If someone could do a write up on Saturday Slowies it'd be helpful as i haven't been, so don't have a complete idea of what to write.

Racing section will probably have Club racing(heffron park), Opens, Calender, and Open results (probably just top 10's).

I'll need to get some more pictures for the gallery, but i don't usually take a camera to the opens, and it's hard to get photos when everyone is racing.

Any suggestions, let me know. I'll try to get some stuff up by sunday night.

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 04 Aug 2007, 21:09

Alright new updates done....

http://www.dhbc.org.au/index.php?pr=Track

If you want to be added, forward me your detail, you can either post them here or private message with a photo & i'll put you up...

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 04 Aug 2007, 22:00

Your page is Pimped up Huw...

If you want to change the photo give me a buzz...

Huw

Postby Huw » 05 Aug 2007, 12:06

Now all I need is some fluffy digi-dice hanging from the sidebar! (OK, don't do that).

My surname is "Morgan" in case you wanted to add that.

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 07 Aug 2007, 10:14

Alright it's time we added some more profiles... So if could people post some answers to these questions? Add a photo if possible, but we can always do that later...

Photo:
Name ( first or full, whatever):
How you came to ride the track:
Why you keep coming back:
What other kinds of bike riding you undertake.

Cheers, Simon.

timyone

Postby timyone » 08 Aug 2007, 15:59

Photo:
Name ( first or full, whatever): Timoth Llewellyn
How you came to ride the track: My little brother got me into it.
Why you keep coming back: Im not fit enough to ride on the road :D and ive seen the distance of track races and reckon i stand a chance (that and i reckon its heaps of fun racing!!)
What other kinds of bike riding you undertake. I ride a motor bike, and i ride saturday slowies when i can, as well as to water fall every so often.
(i train on the rollers when i can too)

Return to “Conversation”