18.06.11 Heffron Park

Road cycling & upcoming rides
Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 19 Jun 2011, 23:08

Another fun day of racing at Heffron this weekend. Julio and I rode C grade along with Glenn King who has only just joined the club and come in from a background in mountain biking. The wind was exceptionally strong, even for Heffron standards, and I had trouble keeping my new helmet on my head. I didn't think anyone would be crazy enough to ride off the front on such a windy day, but racing is always full of surprises. Julio hit off the front early getting a good lead, then Glenn (although we didn't know he was a club mate) crossed the gap then catapulted ahead never to be seen again. After another lap, Julio came back into the bunch then I rode off the front chasing the leader/Glenn. Eventually 3 riders came across to me and we worked together for a couple of laps then came back together. With about 8 or 9 of us left, we raced for second place. On what was our first bell lap (the bell did ring as we passed!) I lead out attempting an unsuccessful one lap flyer and was passed by a Syd Uni rider on the straight. As we came across the line, Bucko called another two to go. After giving it my all and thinking I'd come 3rd, I was spent and pulled out. Two laps later, Glenn finally came around to take victory in what was I believe his first crit race and a very impressive performance. Julio held on to finish with what was left of the chasing group, and I sat there perplexed with how the events had unfolded. Our winner, the mysterious man in black, finally introduced himself as our clubmate! Please get that man a DHBC jersey.

Well done Glenn!

timyone

Postby timyone » 20 Jun 2011, 10:49

great work glenn :D

Return to “Road”